Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom - very smart indeed

Options
  • 17-02-2005 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I just signed up with Smart for my August/September changeover from UTV DSL to Smart Broadband. As I was filling in my direct debit form, it occurred to me that they are very clever indeed with the pre-launch offer for the first 100K customers.

Basically, they will have lists of customers for each exchange before the product even becomes available, so they can then decide which are the most lucrative exchanges to install first or ever. They can compare the cost of getting any given exchange on theor fibre-optic network against the revenue that they will gain from the customers on that exchange. So, for argument sake, if enough people on my exchange (Rathmines) wants to sign up, they could prioritise it's upgrade.

This has probably been discussed on other threads, but It just struck me this morning.

Ro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

what is much smarter is they can draw down on the 20 million loan b4 even connecting u, ie with just your authorisation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ro-76 wrote:
    I just signed up with Smart for my August/September changeover from UTV DSL to Smart Broadband.................
    Ro

Are you just taking it for granted that this changeover will happen or have you heard anything definite from Smart about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ro-76

dub45 wrote:
    Are you just taking it for granted that this changeover will happen or have you heard anything definite from Smart about this?

No. My guess is that they will only decide which exchanges to activate when they see enough customers signed up. They have told me that they will give me a connection date nearer the time so that I can cancel my UTV contract then.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

dear mr dvd

I would just like to confirm that Smart Telecom have received your registration for Smart Broadband. We want to inform you that our equipment will be in the Crumlin exchange in March/April however due to restrictions with civils works required to connect the exchange to our fibre, this exchange will not be live until May/June. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused. If you have any queries please email broadband@smarttelecom.ie and our team will assist you.

Regards,

ellen baker

i got this today after i had sent in my direct debt forms they decided to let me know that what they had told me on the phone was lies and that i will not have my line up and running in march/april like they had promised and now are feeding me this rubbish where to i stand here :confused: something smells iffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

dubdvd wrote:
    ... now are feeding me this rubbish where to i stand here :confused: something smells iffy
    would you be hapier if they did not reply at all and left you in the dark about it?
    frankly, deadlines can slip - esp. on something like this were they are rolling out something new and I'd expect many competitors would like to see them not succeed and might be making life harder for them - and being informed upfront about it is great customer service.
    I'd rather have someone inform me all the time and have it later than on time but poor customer service if needed somewhere down the line. just my 0.02c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What do you mean "where do you stand now"?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dubdvd wrote:
    dear mr dvd

I would just like to confirm that Smart Telecom have received your registration for Smart Broadband. We want to inform you that our equipment will be in the Crumlin exchange in March/April however due to restrictions with civils works required to connect the exchange to our fibre, this exchange will not be live until May/June. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused. If you have any queries please email broadband@smarttelecom.ie and our team will assist you.

Regards,

ellen baker

i got this today after i had sent in my direct debt forms they decided to let me know that what they had told me on the phone was lies and that i will not have my line up and running in march/april like they had promised and now are feeding me this rubbish where to i stand here :confused: something smells iffy

This has been explained in the main thread and as the other posters point out at least Smart had the decency to inform you of the delay which is due to difficulties with civiils as they say. For what its worth I think Smart would have been better off taking a more conservative line where 'civils' and exchanges are concerned. Far better to be able to bring an announced date forward than to put it back.

Advertisement