Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buddy Rich

Options
  • 17-02-2005 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

I've just recently and accidentally introduced my self to Buddy Rich. Namely, a drum battle with animal from the muppets. He was doing some amazing things.. I downloaded a solo or two, also amazing.. does anyone know of anyone who he played with or any of his material I could get my hands on? I'd really like to hear some more of his playing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭ZappaFrank

I'm a big Buddy Rich Fan. He's the best Drummer ever in my opion. But in saying that i'm only familar with his later stuff. I think he played with charlie parker before settin up his own band. He plays a big band Swing type jazz. He does some great covers of pop favorites with big band arrangements. You'll hear his version of the "beat Goes on" quiet often on the radio. He's also released a few drum albums with the likes of Gene krupa and Alla Rakha. You should be able to pick his stuff up in any good record shop. My advice is to start with "Buddy & Soul". Sadly he died in 1984, i have a Dvd of his last drum solo and even in his late 60s he was still the best. He was also a matial arts expert which might explain why he was so fast. Theres a couple of Dvds you should get, he's just as entertaining been interviewed as he was playin the drums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Drum boy

Yeah amazing drummer, one of the greatest, i dont know if these were the solo's you heard but, check out the first one- a battle with Gene Krupa, amazing! [HTML]http://www.drummerworld.com/drummersolo.html[/HTML]

Theres more videos and a lot of drum solos etc. on this site so take a wander around! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Lactating Shark

And one of the most unpleasant people in music, or so its been said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gothic Warrior

I got this DVD recently, and it kicks a*s:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41782&item=7303147574&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Dennis Chambers rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

As an amateur drummer of 20 years, I could never warm to Buddy.

He was undoubtedly a brilliant showman and great technician, but he leaves me cold.

Personally I prefare more 'musical' drummers, such as Dave Tough (sadly underrated), Tony Williams and of course Steve Gadd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Festoon

Buddy Richs Swingin' New Big Band is excellent, as is Big Swing Face.

Love his bands but not really a fan of the drumming.

he was a complete bastard, as noted above.

Advertisement