Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl: Sending tracert info to them

Options
  • 17-02-2005 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭

I was onto ntl bb about the bad pings in Dublin 15 area.
    I was requested to get affected users to do a few tracerts (jolt / boards etc) and mail them in to cablemodemhelp@ntlworld.ie with your account number/name

The more customers that send in info the easier it will be to fix the problem.
    I plan to have a script running overnight that will do a few tracerts and pings every 50 or 60 mins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

what this translates to is the more ppl email the mere bandwidth they will open up in d.15 so get mailing with pings (amended if too good)

scheduled taks every hour

ping www.boards.ie >> results.log
    ping www.wherever.com >> results.log

in a .bat / .cmd file should do it yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I am having same problem !! Dont let them fob you off !! the problem is that D15 is oversubscribed too !! Pings are ****e !! the banwidth is clogged

PM and I tell you what to say !! I'm one month on thier case..........

they have admitted to me there is new systems gear needed and it will not be installed for 3 - 4 weeks !! DL's are fine but pings not, afet this it will improve

I have gone through thier tech support and onto thier manager !

Insist that the pings are a contention issue and that the product is not doing what you bought it for !!

If they get a chance they will make you do tracert's until the cows come home !! your waisting your own time !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Is it numbers of users or people hogging the bandwith you reckon? I've been on NTL in D.15 for about 5 months, and the Pings have always been up and down from day one. In fact I'd say its better now than it was a few months back. But I'm not gaming at the moment so its never been an issue.

Is it numbers of users or people hogging the bandwith you reckon? I've been on NTL in D.15 for about 5 months, and the Pings have always been up and down from day one. In fact I'd say its better now than it was a few months back. But I'm not gaming at the moment so its never been an issue.

Hogging is a bit strong, sorry, but they say the "head end" in our area is overloaded, the Tech Suuport manger has confirmed they are not taking on anyone else in the area until sorted? but I think its bull becuase I've been told I'm the onlyone with the issue............ seems from this thread I'm not !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

It's nothing to do with contention! If it was would would have noticed a problem with your downloads but as you've said the downloads are fine. If you look closely at your tracerts you'll see where the problem is...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It goes to England and back again??? Our pings were fine for about a week then 2 weeks ago pings were up and we are getting choke and loss in counter strike source (connecting to UK server).

MickFarr wrote:
    It's nothing to do with contention! If it was would would have noticed a problem with your downloads but as you've said the downloads are fine. If you look closely at your tracerts you'll see where the problem is...

What is it Mick then? I'm sick of thier excuses ! thought it would be a great gaming product....?

Lots of people have good pings !

Post up some tracert's to www.jolt.co.uk

It should look like this
    C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Farrell>tracert www.jolt.co.uk

Tracing route to www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    14 ms     9 ms     8 ms  10.135.31.254
      2    12 ms    13 ms     9 ms  dbln-cam-1b-ge02-100.inet.ntl.com [82.9.147.5]
      3     9 ms     8 ms     7 ms  dbln-t2core-b-ge-210-0.inet.ntl.com [82.9.145.12
    9]
      4    32 ms    10 ms    13 ms  dbln-bb-b-ge-230-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.57]

5    18 ms    16 ms    23 ms  man-bb-a-so-500-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.45]

6    14 ms    24 ms    19 ms  man-bb-b-ae0-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.187.178]
      7    27 ms    21 ms    20 ms  win-bb-a-so-300-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.138]

8    32 ms    51 ms    48 ms  gfd-bb-b-so-500-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.172.130]

9    28 ms    27 ms    25 ms  tele-ic-2-so-100-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.74]

10    29 ms    38 ms    25 ms  lon1-10.nildram.net [213.208.106.169]
     11    39 ms    54 ms    64 ms  84.12.225.130
     12    32 ms    26 ms    25 ms  jolt-gw.nildram.net [195.149.20.126]
     13    24 ms    27 ms    24 ms  82.133.85.65

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Farrell>

Good pings in your area ! Lucky you! but its not the case alround............. some areas are over subscribed too........ I'm not a telecom engineer of any sort but I've had eircom solo in the early days of 512k and IBB Breeze recently and then the change to NTL and the NTL service for gaming has been the worse ! Pings on IBB was solid 50 -60 ! Eircom well that was 2001 - 2003 and it was around the 70 mark but solid.....

so many hops in thier tracer routes? anyway hopefully they invest in getting the service back

I had the same problem that your having, the downlaods were running fine but the pings were cr@p! It was impossible to kick ass online anymore. :D

If it was a contention problem the whole broadband would be bad not just the pings.

• Advertisement

Nick it must be the hops or trafic through the headends then?

Advertisement