Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Shooting :)

Options

Comments

well, at least he was wearing ear defenders............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

There is a link to the original source of this video (and many more) in this thread.
    This video and others from the same site are floating around the internet, often with changed filenames (as in this case), proporting to show how 'Arabs can't fire guns'.

Here's the rifle many of them were firing.

Have a look at this-
    700different.jpg
    That round at the right hand end, the little one, the .308, is at the UPPER end of what's available and being shot here in Ireland.

EXTRA INFO
    The one at the left hand end of the line is a 577 Tyrannosaur.

This rifle is chambered for 700 Nitro Express! :eek:
    (Not shown in this picture, for some reason :confused: )

EXTRA INFO
    The 577 Tyrannosaur uses a .585 inch 750 grain bullet, with 170-200 grains of propellent, and stands approx. 3.7 inches tall.
    The 700 Nitro Express uses a .700 inch 1000 grain bullet, with 200-250 grains of propellent, and stands approx. 4.2 inches tall!!!

Bear in mind that a 12 gauge shotgun is making 30-40 ft. lbs. of recoil energy (give or take), and then ponder the 200+ ft. lbs. of recoil energy the 700 Nitro Express is generating :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'd respectfully suggest that there are very few shooters from any part of the world, even very experienced ones, who wouldn't get shoved around by this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭target

Have a close look at the guy in the background, looks more than a little like UAE's Ahmed AlMaktoum the Athens Double Trap gold medalist. See for yourself ... http://www.issfnews.com/default.asp?file=whoiswho&event=&wiwmode=namenat&shtrid=18441

target wrote:
    the guy in the background, looks more than a little like UAE's Ahmed AlMaktoum the Athens Double Trap gold medalist
    It does, doesn't it?

As the Accurate Reloading guys ARE based in UAE, it more than likely is him.

Rovi wrote:
    Have a look at this-
    700different.jpg
    That round at the right hand end, the little one, the .308, is at the UPPER end of what's available and being shot here in Ireland.

EXTRA INFO
    The one at the left hand end of the line is a 577 Tyrannosaur.

This rifle is chambered for 700 Nitro Express! :eek:
    (Not shown in this picture, for some reason :confused: )

EXTRA INFO
    The 577 Tyrannosaur uses a .585 inch 750 grain bullet, with 170-200 grains of propellent, and stands approx. 3.7 inches tall.
    The 700 Nitro Express uses a .700 inch 1000 grain bullet, with 200-250 grains of propellent, and stands approx. 4.2 inches tall!!!

Excuse my ignorance, but, eh, what exactly could you hunt with that???

Apart from the odd elephant or rhino, wouldnt most game disintegrate after being hit by one of those monsters?????

• Advertisement

Excuse my ignorance, but, eh, what exactly could you hunt with that???

Apart from the odd elephant or rhino, wouldnt most game disintegrate after being hit by one of those monsters?????
    They're 'overkill' ( :D ) even for elephant and rhino!

(NOTE- All this is from my research on the mighty Internet, and various books, etc. I have no first hand knowledge of big-game hunting. I seem to remember someone else here has some real world experience of this stuff (Irishglockfan?) )

Big dangerous game, like elephant, rhino, cape buffalo, etc appear to be generally taken with calibres of around .375 to .450 or so.
    The bigger stuff (.500+) is sometimes carried by a professional hunter accompanying 'tourist' hunters, as 'insurance' in the event of a SHTF scenario developing where a mightily pissed off buffalo/rhino/elephant is making a determined effort to turn those annoying humans into a greasy smear in the dirt.

Apart from that, they exist for the bragging rights inherent in having the biggest/most powerful/loudest/etc/etc that seems to drive much human endeavour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rovi wrote:
    Apart from that, they exist for the bragging rights inherent in having the biggest/most powerful/loudest/etc/etc that seems to drive much human endeavour :)
    Well, if that's all you want, why not just get one of these?

MVC-001F.jpg

I mean, it'll break your wrist, cost several euro to pull the trigger, and you'll need a three-inch-thick steel backstop, but it'll be loud :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

I think the 577 was a once off calibre developed for a line of big game double rifles made by Holland&Holland. The rifle was called "The Saurian" and it's motifs and engraving was bases on dinosaurs.Even the front sight was a minature dinosaur. It even featured in the second Jurassic park movie.It was carried by the bald big game hunter who wanted to shoot a Tryannosaurus Rex.That would indeed be a good calibre if such critters roamed the Earth still.
    All in all,it is a freak.
    custom design,custom load.
    Huge hunks of lead being thrown range was all the rage when black powder was still in fashion,what you didnt have in fps you made up in calibre.Witness some double rifles of 4 or 2 bore with the advent of nitro the calibres got smaller but had double the punch.

Yes alot of pro white hunters still carry big calibre double SXS rifles.Quick two shots and very quick reload,no automatic saftey,double extractors,simple mechanisms
    But most of these are old pieces,some well over a centuary old that they have bought or inherited from retired white hunters.Doubt they would or could afford such a monster.I reckon weight alone of that piece would exhaust you,the guide and several gun boys in a day under the African Sun,that you would be only to glad to be flattened by an elephant just to rest.
    You might as well lug a Barrett light fifty along,have 5 rapid follow up shots with ammo that will have some variety[AP,tracer,explosive AP] and still have some strength to point it at whatever is charging at you.
    Still,i think it would make an exellent anti vechicle weapon.anything that knocks a bull elephant off its feet isnt gong to do an engine block much good :eek:

Incidently the Beowulf can also be got in an AR15 weapons system,made by the same company, Alexander arms.a stronger version of the 50AE pistol round

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Incidently the Beowulf can also be got in an AR15 weapons system,made by the same company, Alexander arms.a stronger version of the 50AE pistol round
    Yup, which is a neat piece of engineering since it's a standard AR rifle with just a different barrel and magazine, essentially.
    I'm not sure exactly what you could use it for though - I mean the revolver I suppose would be handy if out walking in the woods in Alaska (the noise alone should scare the bear thoroughly), but a .50cal AR?

Sparks wrote:
    Well, if that's all you want, why not just get one of these?

MVC-001F.jpg

I mean, it'll break your wrist, cost several euro to pull the trigger, and you'll need a three-inch-thick steel backstop, but it'll be loud :D
    Right!
    I'll see your 50 Beowulf, and raise you a hand held harpoon gun!!!

brand_adv4.gif

A couple of contemporary quotes-
    ...the gunner was kicked as far aft as 'midships, and it was found necessary then, even as it is now [1887], to tie the gun to the boat with a lanyard in order that it could be regained when it was "hoisted overboard." The recoil of the old shoulder-guns was immense. I have heard of two men who had their collar bones broken by a heavy gun.

and-
    It was the first shoulder gun in use, and several whalemen in New bedford have used it, but not to any extent. It was made of gun metal, the barrel had an inch and a half bore, and the person who handled it had to be stronger than an ox. The recoil was so great that often-times he was prostrated.

Hmmmmmmmmmm........................
    it would appear that those guys with the 700 Nitro Express are only amateurs :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Hmmm...it didnt last very long in production tho.Maybe after one too many whalermen had gone over board,the idea of mounting it on a tripod became a good idea :D
    So its calibre is about the size of one of the old punt guns made for Col Peter Hawker,one of the greatest wildfowlers ever.Two pounds of shot per barrel pushed by one pound of Black powder.Ignition was by both flintlock and cap lock.The idea being that the delay in the flint ignition would be sufficent to allow the percussion to get the duck flock which was rising from the shock of the flint going off.If that makes sense?
    Once the good Col had rowed back, proably from the two mile recoil push :D an average bag was 90 to 100 duck and geese.This being in the early 1800s mind.Reckon the earthworms in China must have known when that monster was fired!
    Sparks check out www.ultramag50.com
    For genuine 50 cal AR15 designs.It saves you somthing like $3000 for just a single shot upper that you can put on a AR15 lower and use as a break action single shot.cheap way of getting into 50cal shooting.
    The 50 AE is just a strong pistol round that you can get in a IMI desert eagle pistol system.The Beowulf is just a boosted 50AE.

You got to love theAR 15 design for what different types of calibres that thing will fire in its original 5.56 lower reciver design.Everything from 17 bee
    to 50cal.

Advertisement