Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB, is it really that bad?

Options
  • 16-02-2005 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

or is it just me?

Been having massive problems lately. Very inconsistent speeds.
    Also been trying to play cs:s and have been having massive amounts of choke and loss. I've tried running packet tests but cannot get a successful test to run, they are all failing.
    Its not spyware, adware, lack of updates, virus, or firewall.
    I can ping low to goole, yahoo etc. I just can't hold a consistent connection for any length of time.

Anyone else with the problem? (I still can't believe its only 512kbps! ARgg)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

For me at the Blanchartstown exchange it's fine but it seems everyone else is having massive problems....I'd say by this stage IOL are well aware of the situation....they probably don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I'm in Kimmage and never had connection trouble since July '02.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

im in cork and having no problems...just finished a game of cs and there was no lag whatsoever. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

DrChoda wrote:
    or is it just me?

Been having massive problems lately. Very inconsistent speeds.
    Also been trying to play cs:s and have been having massive amounts of choke and loss. I've tried running packet tests but cannot get a successful test to run, they are all failing.
    Its not spyware, adware, lack of updates, virus, or firewall.
    I can ping low to goole, yahoo etc. I just can't hold a consistent connection for any length of time.

Anyone else with the problem? (I still can't believe its only 512kbps! ARgg)

You're not alone mad.gif

The reaction and pings are terrible today and they seem to be getting worse. Just browsing this forum, for example, it can take up to 30 seconds for the damn page to even begin loading, but once it begins, it loads very quickly, so obviously this is an Esat BT problem. I would say just give them a ring if you are actually paying for the service, and get them to investigate it. I would ring them too, but I am getting rid of the free trial tomorrow tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Seems to be disconnecting alot for me lately - very frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I've been using it for a year and a half. PC, laptop and Xbox live. A few lost connections once in a while, but overall not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Yes, a lot of people have been complaining about that - it must be those bloody modems they give out, because there is nothing wrong with my phoneline and I have never heard of eircoms netopia modems having the same problem (although, that said they have big problems of their own rolleyes.gif )

Esat BT must know about the problems by now - obviously they couldn't give a damn about the problem - I mean, there is even a thread about it on their own message boards. Typical Irish customer service biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

They've repeatedly told me that nobody else is having packet loss problems :rolleyes:

After a screenshot of 36% packet loss to their primary DNS they acknowledged there was a problem and told me it's just normal contention and that I have a bad phone line! The cheek!

Seems like all is reasonably well tonight though. Eircom pings still kicking my ones' ass but little to no loss and choke tonight. Seems like I traded loss and choke for ping though. Pings have started to fluctuate to my server from 65-150ms. Better than loss and choke though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

kleefarr wrote:
    I've been using it for a year and a half. PC, laptop and Xbox live. A few lost connections once in a while, but overall not bad.

Having said the above, I should also have included, I don't use the Zytecel thingy modem. I use a linksys adsl gateway that also has a wireless option.
    It may be worth doing a poll.

1. IOL modem with no problems
    2. IOL modem with problems
    3. Other modem with no problems
    4. Other modem with problems

Mine would be 3.

This would give you a good indication whether the problems experienced by IOL users are network related or modem related. I suspect it's more likely to the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Mine would be 1. IOL modem with no problems....none that weren't fixed after a call to tech support anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm 3. I have a linksys too. Quality stuff. Never really had any issues with IOL bb though. Excellent pings for around a year now.

The zyxel did disconnect every once in a while on me. Nothing a power off / on wouldn't fix though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

I'm a 4
    Netgear DG834G dsl modem/router
    -1 wired connection
    -2 wireless: 1 x WG311
    1 x WG311T
    *all with the latest firmware updates

I get the same loss and choke if I use the zxycel modem .
    If I plug directly into the netgear router my ping lowers to about 50 for most servers, but the loss and choke are still there.
    No problems with the wireless connection, and I've scanned for any noise that could be conflicting with the wirless, and as well, even wired connections have the same problem.
    I used the netgear connection wizard to save myself some hassle with the intial setup.
    -Would manual settings be much better? What setting have others found effective?

There wasn't always a problem, this only started about 2-3 weeks ago. It happend before many months ago (maybe a year) and after multiple calls, and checking the boards it turned out they were doing hardware upgrades.
    *the speeds were dramatically affected then which isn't the case now.

Also, I've called tech support a couple of times and initially they wouldn't assist me because I was not using the modem I purchased with the service.
    I've received 0 help from them ever since. No problems on their end, which is what they said months ago when it turned out it was them.

I'm failing on multiple online tests. Huge amounts of packet loss. DNS seems to fail for me as well every now and again.
    If I try to run mupltiple ping tests, the first few will pass and the rest all fail.
    (as if they hitting the hop cut off).
    I've sent iolbb emails and the only reply I can get from them is that they have received my email and the next email is that they are closing the ticket.

This is getting really frustrating and fair enough, a contention ratio will afftect my transfer speeds. Consistent packet loss has nothing to do with 'contention ratio' and wondering if in Ireland it would be considered 'Breach of Contract'? (I know for a fact that it would in some other countries which light years beyond 512kbps 'broadband')

Any help, tips, config settings, etc is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Have been disconnected for the past week and doesn't look like I'll be reconnected until next week - tech support - useless as tits on a bull.
    If another IOL tech mentions eircom to me, I'll swing for him. As far as I'm concerned, my contract is with Esat, not eircom. And don't flame me about eircom providing the lines; I'm not that stupid. My point is, it's too easy an excuse for them and they seem to use it EVERY time I have an issue.

- end rant!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

SwampThing wrote:
    Have been disconnected for the past week and doesn't look like I'll be reconnected until next week - tech support - useless as tits on a bull.
    If another IOL tech mentions eircom to me, I'll swing for him. As far as I'm concerned, my contract is with Esat, not eircom. And don't flame me about eircom providing the lines; I'm not that stupid. My point is, it's too easy an excuse for them and they seem to use it EVERY time I have an issue.

- end rant!

If it was an Eircom issue then surely Eircom users would be experiencing the same issues? No Eircom threads here to that effect. In fact it is amazing how few complaints there are ever on here from Eircom users! (I am a UTV customer by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

They seem to have *much* improved in the last 2 days. I'm back to 0 packet loss to english servers. Pings are decent too :) Bit of choke still but ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

LadyLotts wrote:
    They seem to have *much* improved in the last 2 days. I'm back to 0 packet loss to english servers. Pings are decent too :) Bit of choke still but ah well

Noticed last night that my loss and pings have become acceptable. However, I am still have problems with loss.
    *I have changed absolutely NOTHING from my demarc point, so whatever has changed is on IOLBB's side of things.
    I hope they get it right soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

its fine

mine was disconnecting randomly the first week ... until i updated the firmware on my bb modem

Advertisement