Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why 3 for one fighter?! orginal bsg

Options
  • 16-02-2005 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Can anyone answer , why it took 3 cylons (in the orginal bsg) to fly one of their space fighters?
    Considering their using cpus and have quicker reaction times than the humans, why 3?! were the other 2 to look out the windows?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

One hypothesis is that Cylon fighters are the equivilent of F-14 Tomcats: big, complex, long range and with a large arsenal. The colonial vipers are more like F-16 Falcons or (my favourite fighter plane) the Swedish Saab Gripen: small, simpler aircraft with a shorter range designed primarily for defence i.e to be launched at short notice, engage the enemy and land again, without travelling over a huge distance to get to the fight.

By this logic, a cylon crew could be composed of a pilot, navigator, and weapon officer (or whatever you want to call them), while colonial vipers only need pilots, since they don't have to navigate far, and they would be co ordinated from the Battlestar. This explains the need for three Cylons.

Of course, it could be that they just thought it looked cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Besides, do you remember what real-world computers were actually like in those days? I'd say they thought they were being pretty damn clever with having *only* three. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Its because they run Windows. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

They were a load-balanced cluster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Modern fly-by-wire systems tend to use 3 (or more) cpus to control the flight surfaces, all 3 do the same calculations on the same data and in case of any discrepancies in the results any 2 can override the 3rd. So an F16 is in fact being flown by 3 cpus with one pilot to tell the cpus what to do. Of course that doesn't explain why they bother putting actual cyclons in at all instead of just a bunch of cpus, but as someone pointed out, it looks pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

a wizard did it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Garibaldi wrote:
    Besides, do you remember what real-world computers were actually like in those days? I'd say they thought they were being pretty damn clever with having *only* three. :D

Lol!

Cylon fighter running windows 3.1 OS with a muscle-packed 66mhz processor and 8mb ram....

Light years beyond anything the pathetic colonial forces could muster. :eek:

Advertisement