Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need handset connected for linetest?

Options
  • 16-02-2005 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I just got a new phone line installed and was wondering whether I should have a phone handset plugged into it to pass the broadband linetest.
    Was just going to leave the line unused for 4 weeks to ensure it has been present in an eircom testing cycle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

elcabron wrote:
    I just got a new phone line installed and was wondering whether I should have a phone handset plugged into it to pass the broadband linetest.
    Was just going to leave the line unused for 4 weeks to ensure it has been present in an eircom testing cycle.

that would be a no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 elcabron

Thanks for the reply, I will keep my fingers crossed and wait then.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

I'm moving to Celbridge in the next couple of weeks and have done a line test on the number in the house I'm moving to. It's coming up as a fail. If I ring the number, its engaged (house empty for last 2 months - presume line disconnected etc.)

The house is only 200 yards south of the bridge in Celbridge, so I'm hardly a million miles from the exchange.

Could the engaged tone be the prob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 elcabron

Probably. I did read somewhere in the forum that if the linetest is run and the line is engaged, eg you are on the phone at the time, then it returns a fail. When nothing is plugged in to a phone line it just rings from the callers point of view. I would have to agree with you that if the house is empty and the phone line is engaged, then it is disconnected from service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

elcabron wrote:
    Probably. I did read somewhere in the forum that if the linetest is run and the line is engaged, eg you are on the phone at the time, then it returns a fail. When nothing is plugged in to a phone line it just rings from the callers point of view. I would have to agree with you that if the house is empty and the phone line is engaged, then it is disconnected from service.

Look the line test is moinotred from the switch, there is a list of numbers on the Eircom network that have been upgrade or BB enabled. It is signal test from the network across the line, phone or no phone. It is area dependant not phone line.

I live 2 miles form the exchange but the lines to feed my area travel all aorund the world before they reach my house ! so I fail......... ADSL technology is distance reliant and dependaent on the coper and junctions it has to meet before it hits your box in the house......

have a look atht his site:- http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl3.htm

D

• Advertisement
Advertisement