Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chess, the new.....eh....chess.

Options
  • 16-02-2005 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

just an idea lads, since we are all pretty much beginners/intermediate-at-best/out of practice/crap, how about we invigorate this forum a bit with that in mind.

any time i try to read about chess online it's either way over my head or extremely boring.

there aren't any mods assigned to this yet, as far as i can see and it's been dead for a year, anyone interested?

(if there is a mod i apologise.....but you're not very good. (amp :)) )

i think a chess forum which is accessible and encouraging, much like the poker forum would make a refreshing change. articles on broad strategies....even how to read chess annotation would be a start.

think the little 8 person tournie is a great start and perhaps it can grow into a nice learning thing with mates who have an interest in chess rather than a room of robots mentally tussling 20 moves ahead.

any volunteers for mod/co-mod or content? i don't mind doing it, but not saying this just so i can....happy either way to get something going.

Karlh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

ill bump this once and then take it as a no :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I don't really have much interest in chess, but I read all the posts on here for the purposes of keeping an eye on it. I'm not in a position to do what you suggest and don't know anyone who is. But if anyone wants to try, then they're more than welcome.

Well I like chess, but starting this with no gamble involved? You won't have the boards poker contingent hanging there... :)

well i'm willing to start something myself if i can get some help from intereted parties. from the response here it aint looking good.

i blame nintendo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

I'll play if there are numbers, though I haven't done so seriously for about 5 years. I'd have some trouble playing in a pub in Dublin though - maybe some games online? There are various free servers we could use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Frankygolucky

I play at chessworld.net (letsplaychess.com).Its about 15 euros a year membership but You can also play there on a trial basis for free.If you decide to check it out ,issue me a challenge(Frankygolucky) and I will give You a game !

fantastic site, playeing a couple of guest games. will probably sign up.

thanks for the link....can you play live games on some sort of client or just the '5-day move' type?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bigbishop

well i'm willing to start something myself if i can get some help from intereted parties. from the response here it aint looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Way to bump a 12 year old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement