Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who's your favourite guitarist?

Options
  • 16-02-2005 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

Satch is mine, it used to be Vai, but Vai is too full of himself, I'm not saying Satch doesn't have an ego, he does, but not as big as Vai, and I feel Satch is musically better, I can't really listen to Vai's stuff as easilly as I can Satch's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

So hard to pick just one, since the really great players add so much. TBH, I'd be torn between Marty Friedman and Chris Poland, both technically gifted but both immaculately tastful in their note choice and phrasing and skilled enough to be adept at any style of music they'd care to play. Today I'd choose Marty, but tomorrow it'd probably be Chris :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Graham Day

Either Eric Clapton or Rory Gallagher. Pure and simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Eric Clapton is brilliant! I feel he got better when he left Cream and Derek And The Dominoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Barryoh2004

Dave Pajo and Jonny Greenwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

I'd like to name some unsung guitarist, but I think Slash is just brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Brother A

I heard of this guy, what was his name again oh...eh...
    oh yeah Jimi Hendrix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

there's so many geniuses .. alex lifeson can do everything like rush or not they are all extremely talented.. listen to the solo on kid gloves ...class... but i'd say dave gilmour is my fav..hits some amazin notes in his solos that just do it for me.. nobody plays with more emotion than dave (thats the guitarist out of floyd in case ya didn't know).. legend!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Yep +1 for Dave G. John Petrucci is the best technical guitarist i've ever heard. His runs, arpeggios and knowledge of scales/theory are so good it's scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Mine would be Alex Lifeson of Rush and Martin Barre of Jethro Tull...2 supremo's coz they can do it all and seem to go in depth to find the sound and techniques they need...just brilliant all rounders...Lifeson on any Rush stuff..but especially La Villa Strangiato, Kid Gloves, ByTor and the Snow Dog - live etc etc , OUCH! hottest guitar work Ive ever heard,,true Genius. Martin Barre the same, always coming up with unusual and interesting stuff, sheer class both of em. And hey! lets not forget the forgotten irish guitar supremo Johhny Fean of Horslips another master great guitarist, too often over looked on here i think.

ciao' amigo's Baggio......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I would probably go with HENDRIX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

I'd have to go with Gary Moore. He add's so much to Thin Lizzy's Black Rose album. His After Hours album has got some great playing on it.

John Petrucci is technically amazing, but he also adds to the songs instead of just shredding blindly over songs. For me, I think that gives him the edge over a lot of "shred" guitarists.

John Sykes, Marty Friedman....

It's a tough one though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

For me its David Gilmore, oodles and oodles of feel and he doesnt overcomplicate things for the sake of it like so many other guitarists. Dont believe me? Watch Live in Pompeii and listen to the marooned on the division bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭masto1983

Has to be Rory! At the moment anyway, these things can change day to day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paulmartin

Jimmy Page. An amazing songwriter and arranger and wrote most of the best and most influential riffs of all time. Pretty much invented heavy rock, played the first ever shred solo (heartbreaker) but also wrote amazing blues and folk songs, and many songs which didn't fit any genre and mixed different genres in the same song to an extreme that hadn't been done before. He's just a great guitarist and improvisor. He's also the most influential guitarist ever as nearly ever major rock guitarist since has named his as their favourite guitarist, or at the very least a major influence (including Brian May, Slash, James Hetfield, Zakk Wylde, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Kurt Cobain, Joe Perry, Angus and Malcolm Young, Tom Morello, Dean DeLeo, Munky, that's pretty much every major guitarist of the last 30 years, there's a couple more obvious ones that i'm not sure who whether they liked him or not) as well as many new guitarists like Christian Datsun, Jack White, The Darkness, and Daron Malakovic. You pick up any guitar magazine and in almost any interview if someone asks an interviewee who their favourite players are chances are they'll name Jimmy Page. In fact I'm almost certain if a poll was compiled of where famous guitar players were asked for their favourite guitar player, Page would get ahead of hendrix.

My favourite shred guy would be Kirk Hammett, for no particular reason other than i like his solos. For someone reason though my favourite hammett solos are the slower ones like The Unforgiven and the intros to Fade To Black and One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

My vote has to be Jimmy Page aswell.. I've spent many hours over the past 10 years trying to imitate a lot of his solo's..

I learned a hell of a lot from listening to Led Zeppelin.. Any other guitarist in that band, and it just wouldn't have been the same.. (Mind you, take any one of those musical geniuses out, and the band would have been very different. RIP John Bonham.

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 comfortablynumb

Brian may and david gilmour. Brian may is probably my favorite but atm Gilmour is a close 2nd!

I wont argue they're cases for why they're my favorites but i will recommend songs that argue for them!

Brian May : "You dont fool me" (its on greatest hits 3) and "Bijou".
    David Gilmour : "comfortably numb" the live version off the pulse live album, you should check out the video aswel, 9mins 30sec long and features the biggest disco ball ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

paulmartin wrote:
    Jimmy Page. An amazing songwriter and arranger and wrote most of the best and most influential riffs of all time. Pretty much invented heavy rock, played the first ever shred solo (heartbreaker) but also wrote amazing blues and folk songs, and many songs which didn't fit any genre and mixed different genres in the same song to an extreme that hadn't been done before. He's just a great guitarist and improvisor. He's also the most influential guitarist ever as nearly ever major rock guitarist since has named his as their favourite guitarist, or at the very least a major influence (including Brian May, Slash, James Hetfield, Zakk Wylde, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Kurt Cobain, Joe Perry, Angus and Malcolm Young, Tom Morello, Dean DeLeo, Munky, that's pretty much every major guitarist of the last 30 years, there's a couple more obvious ones that i'm not sure who whether they liked him or not) as well as many new guitarists like Christian Datsun, Jack White, The Darkness, and Daron Malakovic. You pick up any guitar magazine and in almost any interview if someone asks an interviewee who their favourite players are chances are they'll name Jimmy Page. In fact I'm almost certain if a poll was compiled of where famous guitar players were asked for their favourite guitar player, Page would get ahead of hendrix.

My favourite shred guy would be Kirk Hammett, for no particular reason other than i like his solos. For someone reason though my favourite hammett solos are the slower ones like The Unforgiven and the intros to Fade To Black and One.

Jimmy Page borderline obsessive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HomesickAlien

in terms of actual guitar playing, jonny greenwood.

in terms of who i'd most like to have sex with, charlotte hatherly

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wilkins

Keith Richards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sackville

masto1983 wrote:
    Has to be Rory! At the moment anyway, these things can change day to day.
    Yeah! deserves the benefit of doubt over the other contenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

robbie robertson- watch(or listen to) the last waltz.....masterclass of sheer smooth licks with great improv.
    jimmy page of course.
    robbie krieger(from the doors, highly under-rated)
    and again my good man rory g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Prince, who just won another Grammy for an outstanding song used to deliver superb guitar soli back in the day. The whole "Purple Rain" album is full of guitar classics.

No wonder, he has been compared to Hendrix so frequently.

Today, he might be old news but give him a guitar and he still shines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Jimmy Page, Hendrix, John McLoughlin or Stevie Ray Vaughan just for Little Wing - best solo guitar song i've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

My favourite has got be Kirk Hammett!

Been trying to play his solo's since i picked up a guitar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Would be my favourite as such, but I really like how both of the guitarists in Blind Melon play. It's hard to differentiate who's playing what, because they're both "lead guitarists" really and I've seen sweet FA footage of them.

Just thought I'd mention Blind Melon though, since they're very much the unsung heroes, I feel. Anyone else ever listened to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

rory gallagher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Kitsune

Marty Friedman

But having said that, it was probably Brian May who made me want to play the guitar in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

Ben Harper or Mike McCready

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

toss up between jimmy page and rory gallagher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Stifler

Jimmy Page

Advertisement