Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iol random disconnection

Options
  • 16-02-2005 3:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

this morning i was disconnected 3 times from iol. tonight i happened again so all cables connections were checked and i "repaired" the connection in options. still happening.

i have timed the last few dissconnects 10 mins - 6 mins - 27 mins.

any1 have any ideas? firewalls are off .. no updates for virus checker or windows update needed as they are both up to date as off tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Alot of people seem to be having this problem. Do your download continue even if any new sites etc dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Where are these dropped connections occuring? Maybe, if people put the area in which these connections are being dropped, the problem could be traced? I've had no problems in the Blanchardstown area.

I'm in greystones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

alis - do you say disconnect as in DSL light goes out? If so, I have this problem also (Dublin 6W) and it is incredibly annoying. It was pretty bad for me yesterday - four of five disconnections. I think it is something to do with the modem and DSL equipment in the exchange - if the modem is left on overnight and at all times the problem goes away after a week, but if you switch the modem off for any great length of time the problem returns and is very bad - disconnecting as soon as you start to download anything using great speed. Best bets is to leave your modem switched on at all times, and perhaps use the diagnostics in the modem menu. I also found that changing the setting in one of the menus to "Nailed Up Connection" lessens the problems somewhat.

But from what I hear, we're not alone with the disconnecting problem rolleyes.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Happening to me in Maynooth as well. I could be browsing, playing UT2004 or downloading and the connection would drop. Normally have to restart the router to get it back again :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Macros42 wrote:
    Happening to me in Maynooth as well. I could be browsing, playing UT2004 or downloading and the connection would drop. Normally have to restart the router to get it back again :(

I find if you disconnect the Ethernet / USB cable from the back of the router, the DSL light comes back in usually within a minute or two, so you dont have to reset the router. Resetting the router a few times seems to make the problem worse. If you leave it connected, the router will never re-connect as requests are made to upload / download information and the router doesn't seem to be able to cope. The problem, I found, was wore on USB - no idea why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I was told by an IOL BB Manager that all active connections are literally cut off at ~3am every day. As the DSL line is always active then they're not breaking the contract, all they're doing is cutting your connections so any servers so-as to "refresh" your ip address.
    That was a number of months ago now, I'm not sure what their policy is any more, but I'm STILL getting terrible packetloss and it's driving me insane :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭PaulMcG

No problems in Templemore so far... probably because not many people here have moved into the broadband revolution yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

no its the activation and dsl lights that go out, the usb stays green. for the last two days the longest i can stay online is 27 mins. what is the technical support number?? i cant find it on the web page and the ****ing slaes crew never answer there phones to ask them for it.

tech support number please??

Not sure of the tech support number..if you get through coul you post what they say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

John I'm in Greystones as well and was having the same problem as you until I put my DSL modem into Bridge mode and let the router handle the login details. I've had no problems since. This approach, for people with a DSL modem + router setup, has been mentioned by a couple of other people in a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

butts wrote:
    John I'm in Greystones as well and was having the same problem as you until I put my DSL modem into Bridge mode and let the router handle the login details. I've had no problems since. This approach, for people with a DSL modem + router setup, has been mentioned by a couple of other people in a different thread.
    That's how I have mine setup. Never had a problem. Those Zylex Prestige modems mustn't be able to handle all the services that a good router should be able to. Get yourselves a decent router. I've got the Linksys Wireless-G Router WRT54G.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

calis wrote:
    tech support number please??

Phone 1904 and select Internet Techical Support when prompted.

Im going to probably get a linksys wireless router soonish so i'll put it to bridge then. Thanks for help =)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭walter

the problem is same to me.i base in dublin 1 and using a IOL BB.This thing happens to me in the last two days.i think my pc got virus and reinstall system for 3 times:(

when i lost connection ,the adsl light is on green.i try to ping www.yahoo.com but there is no connection established.the way i am trying to figure out this is login to the router and refresh the configuration,it will get connection in a few sec.

the number is 1890923111.

rang them and told them my prob. they checked on computer and seen amount i was disconnected. asked if the green dsl light goes out i said yes just that and the act light.said it was a problem my end surprise surprise. said to first reset modem which i already had done. then said check cable fom computer to main phone socket and if this cable was over 4 feet in lenght that it cud be the prob.

to make sure it was my end i was to take modem and conect just it to the main phone line using the small cable that was sent with the modem. make a note what time the dsl light came on at and leave it for half an hour.

i was then to connect it to the phone line without using the filters and repeat above.

none of these however are aimed at solving the problem only to find whos to blame me r them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I really do hate their "Scripts, scripts, and nothing but the scripts" attitude when dealing with someone who has OBVIOUSLY called about this exact problem only an hour earlier.

How about some common sense? Too much to ask?
    Or support people who have some idea about technical issues?

Calis: I'm hoping that those ATI GFX driver related problems (other boards) that I've been having help to clear up some of the mess that I'm having at the moment. Once that's sorted out I'll be able to run some proper test on this packetloss business.

Irish ISP's really do suck when compared with any other country that can get broadband.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

calis wrote:
    none of these however are aimed at solving the problem only to find whos to blame me r them.

Steady on bud....they're trying to diagnose the problem. It could be as simple as a crappy phone line between your modem and the wall socket, or a crappy connection at the wall socket.

Transmitting 450 odd kilobits of information per second over vast distances is a tricky business. Normal networks are built using quality cables. DSL is 50 year old copper up to your house, then whatever the hell you want once it gets there.

bought new cable .. installed modem drivers again ... did a full house restart ie. take out all phone lines from sockets and leave for 20 mins. restarted and was disconnected within 5 mins.

rang them back they accepted that it was a problem there end and said they wud make it 2nd level ... ie ring eircom and get them to check exchange which i was told wud be 2 days. asked them if they wud inform me when the line was checked they said no that i wud notice it b4 them and that eicom may not get bac to them.

asked if some1 wud come out and have a look at it (at my own expense) and was told no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I swopped my Zylex for this.... Linksys ADSL gateway. More info here.
    went for the wireless option as well. haven't looked back since. 10/10.
    PC wireless, laptop wireless and xbox live wired in bedroom, wireless in lounge.
    Was really worth the money I think. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement