Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage against the machine trick

Options
  • 15-02-2005 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

in the video for "sleep now in the fire" what is Tom Morello doing for the solo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

I'm not exactly sure what he is doing but unless he is taking the piss in the video i think it involves rapid movement of the pick up switch from one to the other. Although i'm fairly sure that that alone doesn't get you a messed up sound i think it is one of the elements of the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I'm not sure about the song in question but I know one of Morellos tricks is toggling the pickup on and off repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Sounds like a whammy pedal + turning one pickup off and rapidly switching the pickup switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yeah, afaik he has one or two pickups and uses the whammy bar while playing against the amp for a feedback loop.

Or something.

I have an interview recording of him where he explains it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bastardisation

Where could we get a look of it?

• Advertisement

yeah that'd be cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The Passenger

Im pretty sure he uses a whammy pedal and toggles the pickup switch while **** his whammy bar.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I do believe he has a bottle neck (the thing you use for playing slide guitar) in his left hand, moving it over the pickups while he toggles his kill switch on and off. In fact, I'd place a bet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I heard he does a solo where he takes his lead out of his guitar
    and just starts messing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

He fellates the strings behind the nut while working two whammys simultaneously and changing the speed and depth on his phaser AND delay pedals. Oh, and he uses the killswitch really fast also.

• Advertisement

Beekay wrote:
    I heard he does a solo where he takes his lead out of his guitar
    and just starts messing with it.

HA, i heard about that, he was about to rip in to a solo and his lead popped out and he still managed a great make shift solo. Although i don't think the lead falling out was part of the act...disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Nidge wrote:
    HA, i heard about that, he was about to rip in to a solo and his lead popped out and he still managed a great make shift solo. Although i don't think the lead falling out was part of the act...disaster
    No he does actually take the lead out and tap it off the bridge for one of his songs.

*edit* "Bullet in your Head" That's the song.

He fellates the strings behind the nut while working two whammys simultaneously and changing the speed and depth on his phaser AND delay pedals. Oh, and he uses the killswitch really fast also.

He can't do anything to the strings behind the nut. He uses a locking nut and and vibrations from the strings won't travel to the pickups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It was oh so different when he played the oul Telecaster back in the day :)

Bleh. Arm the Homeless. With a Floyd Rose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Earwig Eddie

i can recreate this sound fairly well - one of my two pickups is broken so flicking between the two gives the on-off effect. much easier if your toggle switch is high up imo. you dont pick at all, just fret around hard with the left hand, the better the sustain on your guitar the better it will sound.

NotMe wrote:
    No he does actually take the lead out and tap it off the bridge for one of his songs.

*edit* "Bullet in your Head" That's the song.

Ok well that and there is actually a live performance where he really does accidentally step on the lead by accident and has to play a truly improvised solo.

Or if you have two volume controls on your guitar, turn one off and play with the selector switch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Earwig Eddie

feyla - i know what you mean, but this never seemed to give me the same on-off sound, maybe the "no volume" pickup is still somewhat active dunno mcuh about the technical side of things....

Nope. If it's wired correctly, absolutely no voltage should flow through the pot. At least, that's as far as I know. I've never done any in depth experiments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement