Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewall/Modem query from broadband newbie

Options
  • 15-02-2005 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi
    Two quick questions from someone who has just installed Eircom broadband:

1. Should I leave my Netopia Modem switched on all the time? Or should I switch it off when I shut down my PC? Or does it really matter?

2. I have the free version of Zone Labs as a firewall. When I first installed broadband I had some trouble uploading pages. I fiddled around with the 'alerts and logs' and put an IP address with a string of numbers into the 'trusted zone' and this seemed to work. I presume this is my IP address with Eircom.

I am just wondering if this is the right thing to do or if anyone has any tips for using Zone Labs with Eircom Broadband?

Thanks,
    Ross

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

rossmc wrote:
    Hi
    Two quick questions from someone who has just installed Eircom broadband:

1. Should I leave my Netopia Modem switched on all the time? Or should I switch it off when I shut down my PC? Or does it really matter?

I have my Netopia about 1 year and it has only been turned off once or twice so you should be ok there....but....... (skip to next question)
    rossmc wrote:
    2. I have the free version of Zone Labs as a firewall. When I first installed broadband I had some trouble uploading pages. I fiddled around with the 'alerts and logs' and put an IP address with a string of numbers into the 'trusted zone' and this seemed to work. I presume this is my IP address with Eircom.

I am just wondering if this is the right thing to do or if anyone has any tips for using Zone Labs with Eircom Broadband?

........make sure your firewall is ALWAYS on.

If you do this and an occasional Spyware / Virus check everything should be fine.

If you need any more info or have any more queries.. JUST POST

Regards,

Quazzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rossmc

Quazzy

Thanks for the helpful info.

Regards,

Ross

Advertisement