Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Conductors in Dublin bus

Options
  • 15-02-2005 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

There is still a full time Bus conductor on a dublin bus route I use, the 20B, he's been on it for years, I'm assuming he's full time because a) I see him a lot and b) I see him on a lot of different days.

It seems bit mad to me, does anyone know of any other Bus conductors still working on any other routes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Do you mean bus conductors who actually sell tickets instead of the driver doing it? Or do you just mean the guys who wander onto the bus asking to see peoples tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I am a regular user of the 15/15c/15b bus routes and there is never one on them.

Also I use the 161 frequently, and as you'd expect if you know where this bus goes, there are none on it aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

I don't mean an "inspector" i mean an actual conductor, you get on the bus and he comes around and takes your money and gives you a ticket or more often than not, he stands in that wheelchair/push chair place and takes your money as you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Steve Conway

This gentleman is the last conductor on the Dublin Bus system.

When OPO (One Person Operation) was introduced on double-deckers in the late 80s (it had been on single-decks since the 60s) almost all conductors gradually moved up to become drivers.

There were a few who either for health reasons, or personal preference, could not / would not become drivers, and they are being allowed to live out their natural lifespan in the system as conductors.

There is still one in Cork too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

I figured he had some sort of lifetime deal going on, I doubt you could get such a deal in any job today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It would be interesting to compare the time this bus takes to go round the route at peak to the time it takes on an OPO bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

It would be interesting to compare the time this bus takes to go round the route at peak to the time it takes on an OPO bus.
    The 20B goes around the world once it turns left at Donnycarney and ends up in Artane. I used to live in Artane and if I missed one of the other "normal" buses I would nearly wait for another one rather than get on the 20B!

That bus conductor isn't an old man either, must be in his mid 40's - early 50's, so he's got plenty of life in him yet so he'll probably be around for a while yet...

But to answer your question, the 20B always seemed quicker when there was a conductor on board taking the fares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

viking wrote:
    The 20B goes around the world once it turns left at Donnycarney and ends up in Artane. I used to live in Artane and if I missed one of the other "normal" buses I would nearly wait for another one rather than get on the 20B!

That bus conductor isn't an old man either, must be in his mid 40's - early 50's, so he's got plenty of life in him yet so he'll probably be around for a while yet...

But to answer your question, the 20B always seemed quicker when there was a conductor on board taking the fares.

He has been on that route for years as well, I used to get the bus to school some days in Fairview and he was often on the route back then (before '93).

Advertisement