Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Damage to Jack Lynch Tunnel

Options
  • 14-02-2005 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

A reminder of the need for alternative methods of transport.......

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1338455&issue_id=12074

Unison.ie
    Traffic chaos as tunnel hit by truck closed

A SAFETY inspection was launched at the Jack Lynch tunnel in Cork yesterday after an oversized lorry caused severe damage to roof-mounted electrical equipment.

It is now feared that the damage caused to the €70m tunnel's communications, surveillance, lighting and ventilation systems could exceed €100,000.

There was traffic chaos in Cork as engineers and the Garda closed the tunnel's entire southbound artery. At 5pm there was a five mile tailback at the Kinsale Road roundabout.

This artery primarily serves traffic from Waterford and Dublin seeking access to the south ring road and southern suburbs including the new Mahon Point Shopping Centre.

Tunnel engineering manager Dan O'Neill said the closure will be implemented "for a considerable time" as major inspections continue to determine the nature and extent of the damage.

The lorry entered the southbound tunnel shortly after 2pm yesterday and proceeded despite warnings it was oversized. It dragged along the tunnel roof causing serious damage to electrical cable for about 150 metres.

No structural damage was caused to the tunnel's roof or walls.

The lorry proceeded through the tunnel before it stopped and the driver was questioned by gardai. A file on the matter is expected to be submitted to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Last night, engineers began an assessment of the damage, which ripped electrical systems including surveillance cameras and lighting networks. The tunnel's ventilation system had minor damage.

It is understood the sensitive nature of the tunnel's surveillance, lighting and ventilation systems will make repairs very costly.

Ralph Riegel
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Perhaps the genius piloting the truck thought if he hit it fast enough he'd squeeze through the far side? I wasn't anywhere near the site, but judging by the fuss AA roadwatch were kicking up about it on Friday evening it must have been traffic hell for a huge amount of people, all because some inconsiderate idiot can't read road signs or didn't know the height of his trailer/load.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I went through on Friday evening, albeit around 5.40pm. No bother at Kinsale roundabout and took about 20 mins to get through the tunnel (2 lanes becoming one is bound to cause a delay). No major hold ups, just stop and go. Comparable to regular friday evening traffic for most Dubliners, I'd reckon.

And of course, all sorted this morning despite AA's rather wild 'out until Monday morning AT LEAST' warning on Friday.

Weird thing is that just after I passed Kinsale roundabout, the gom on the AA Roadwatch on 2fm said there were major tailbacks there, so either he recorded his contribution or his information was badly out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

corblimey wrote:
    I went through on Friday evening, albeit around 5.40pm. No bother at Kinsale roundabout and took about 20 mins to get through the tunnel (2 lanes becoming one is bound to cause a delay). No major hold ups, just stop and go. Comparable to regular friday evening traffic for most Dubliners, I'd reckon.
    QUOTE]

You seem to have been lucky. Maybe all the tunnel traffic diverted through the city because that was gridlocked.

The Kinsale Road roundabout may have been okay because it was so difficult to get to with the city centre stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think just erect an immovable barrier at the critical height and this won't repeat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

This happens frequently with rail bridges. Why can't they erect a barrier (like you see to stop caravans parking in lay-bys, probably very cheap to do) 50-100m in front of the bridge so if it hits that it will stop before hitting the low bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

dowlingm wrote:
    Why can't they erect a barrier (like you see to stop caravans parking in lay-bys, probably very cheap to do) 50-100m in front of the bridge so if it hits that it will stop before hitting the low bridge?

It probably has something to do with trucks hitting barriers and ripping the barrier out of the ground and the barrier bouncing all over the road and the other cars being hit by the barrier and ...

I think dangly things are the answer. Hard dangly things that'll make a lot of noise. Or maybe one of those flashing signs that says

"STOP! Vehicle exceeds height limit! Go back. Go directly back. Do not collect €200"

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

whenever I went through that tunnel, the road was always wet, it didn't matter what it was like outside, got a feeling the roof's a bit leaky! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

DubTony wrote:

"STOP! Vehicle exceeds height limit! Go back. Go directly back. Do not collect €200"

Tony

The tunnel HAS these signs! Yet this fool ignored them!

Advertisement