Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband advise

Options
  • 14-02-2005 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am thinking of getting broadband in. I haven't done so to date because of issues with the line and financial constraints but now I am considering taking advantage of some of the offers out there.

So far, I am thinking of the eircom 2 months free trial with the wireless router. I have the phonewatch alarm so I'll have to pay €99 for the engineer I presume. To be honest, the wireless would be a serious advantage as the house is quite small so a dedicated spot for the pc is a bit of hassle. I use an old laptop at the moment so it may provide a better option being able to go online with that and a wireless router would also prevent having to add a new line in too as where it is currently isn't really suitable for setting up a pc.

I see eircom offer a pc card at €49 and I've looked up komplett and they have one for €27. So I am thinking of going with the eircom offer and getting my own pc card. Wireless is probably the best way for me and I don't think Esat offer that.

Am I along the right lines here or can anyone advise me better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Netopia wireless router uses 802.11b.
    If the wireless card you get is 802.11g it should be backwards compatible but on some 802.11g cards you have to select an option to make it receive 802.11b signals correctly.
    If the wireless card you're using does not pick up the signal check its properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Product Description CNet Smart Wireless-G CardBus Adapter CWC-854 - network adapter
    Device Type Network adapter
    Form Factor Plug-in module
    Interface (Bus) Type CardBus
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 12.2 cm x 22 cm x 2.3 cm
    Weight 0.1 kg
    Data Link Protocol IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
    Data Transfer Rate 54 Mbps
    Network / Transport Protocol TCP/IP, NetBEUI/NetBIOS, IP/IPX
    Compliant Standards IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
    System Requirements Microsoft Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

ive got the eircom setup and its grand.

the router gives you a fair few options.
    im about 20 metres down a hallway away with a big ol' wall in between and get nothing but perfect signal

if you want easy to set up wireless get eircoms one,
    plug it in ,
    turn on the security and your set

Advertisement