Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid/ Semi-solid Timber Floors

Options
  • 14-02-2005 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Was in Chadwicks looking at the samples there, and tbh less than I thought they would be. They're all pre-finished which would be an advantage considering we'll have the rest of the house to paint/floor.

Anyone any recommendations for other reasonable places to look?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What sort of prices Macy??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Macy wrote:

Anyone any recommendations for other reasonable places to look?

Doors and Floors
    TC Mathews

Both reasonably priced selections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

yop wrote:
    What sort of prices Macy??
    It was €18 sq yd for the solid pine, about €36 sq yard for the solid oak. Both pre-finished so nothing to be done for the them. Decent fella as well, happy to talk through the options etc and had it himself so was talking from experience. Not your usual salesman crap. Also, they have it in stock, so no hanging around (something we're suspicious off after previous experiences).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what design are they/board width? Some of the cheaper boards come with a lot of knots in them.

I got 5" width solid oak (20mm thick), pre finished in Buckleys last year for about €36/sq yd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Lex Luthor wrote:
    what design are they/board width? Some of the cheaper boards come with a lot of knots in them.

I got 5" width solid oak (20mm thick), pre finished in Buckleys last year for about €36/sq yd
    Are knots a problem, considering they're pre finished? The one's above didn't appear that knotty, but they actually had one called "knotty pine" which actually looked ok....

• Advertisement

Macy wrote:
    Are knots a problem, considering they're pre finished? The one's above didn't appear that knotty, but they actually had one called "knotty pine" which actually looked ok....
    You want to try and find a balance...the more knots you have the easier the boards warp in the future, but are cheaper. Boards without any knots look like laminate and what is the point then.

I think a knot every 2 feet with some mild grain is my personal favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Macy,

I used Junkers for the main areas, hallway, living room etc I am doing my best to forget the cost :).

The bedrooms were done in an Oak Variation 150 mm wide different lengths cost at 20 euro per metre.

I think the bedrooms look very good but the fitting was done according to the book, try Chadwicks in Walkinstown for good prices, their timber man is one of the most experienced around.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

Pete, do you reckon they are worth it? Have seen some crazy and I mean crazy prices on those around Dublin esp Floortex in Terenure, saw ebony at approx 1400e sp metre, nuts or what?

Hi T' Mike,

My reason for buying Junckers was the ground floor is all concrete and Junckers were the only product that would guarantee me the system would work as a floating floor.

The bedrooms don't get anything near the traffic the main areas get so I was caught in the dilemna having seen expensive floors that had parted in the middle of large rooms.

They do have a quality system and a quality product, I still wonder when will the timber finish floor go out of fashion ?.

I think if I was buying today I would buy the Junckers again, it would be that or go to the trouble of raising all the floors and fitting the other timber products as the manufacturers recommend.

OOOPS Sorry T' Mike,

I didn't pay enough heed to the price you posted, €1,400 per square metre ?

Brooks were the importers when I bought mine and I didn't pay anything like that, I was lucky in that the Chadwicks Timber expert in Walkinstown knew the rep in Brooks and got me a good discount.

I would double check those prices if I were you, I drove out with a pallet of Oak Variation and the clips for under €7,000.

There was certainly a lot more than five square metres in that lot, Brooks on the Naas Rd is the main showroom and they will haggle a bit, then take that price to Brooks in Sandford Industrial Est and haggle a little more.

• Advertisement

rooferPete wrote:
    I drove out with a pallet of Oak Variation and the clips for under €7,000..
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hi Lex,

Well it did include VAT ;)

Advertisement