Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How likely is it for my line to fail on day of installation?

Options
  • 13-02-2005 6:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,after 5 years waiting our exchange as recently been upgraded.
    Ive ordered 2 weeks ago this coming tuesday but am getting rather worried upon reading storied here.
    My line has passed according to both esat and eircom.
    A friend in Dublin told me his line failes on the day of installation and he had to pay for a new line but the whole thing took months.
    He was told that he was just unlucky enough to be on a powered line.
    Eircom told him that every fourth house has a powered line and if your unfortunate enough to be on a powered line you cannot get broadband.
    I myself have never heard of this and am wondering is this true or just another spin by eircom?
    All i need after this lenghty wait is for this to happen to me.
    So to sum up is there a possibility my line will fail when they get round to instaling for me?
    Im less than a half mile from the local exchange.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Extremely unlikely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dcully wrote:
    Eircom told him that every fourth house has a powered line and if your unfortunate enough to be on a powered line you cannot get broadband.

25% of houses have 'pairgained' or 'carrier lines' as powered lines are generally named but these are more prevalent in rural areas , especially a rural area that has seen a large increase in the housing stock since 1990 .

You would not have passed the test with a pairgained line .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Sponge Bob wrote:
    25% of houses have 'pairgained' or 'carrier lines' as powered lines are generally named but these are more prevalent in rural areas , especially a rural area that has seen a large increase in the housing stock since 1990 .

You would not have passed the test with a pairgained line .

Not 100% true, generally thats the rule. But on occasion lines have been known to pass the line test, its only when the port is being reserved and another test happens the pair gain problem kicks in.

As i said in another thread, eircom are doing free PSTN/analogue lines till march 31st. I recomend anyone with a line problem to get a new line ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Its so random though. I was failing for ages. got rid of isdn for a few months then decided to just get in back and i passed a few days after getting it reinstalled :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I got a new line in since the 1st of feb, i empasised to the engineer that its mainly for broadband use, but it fails the test on eircoms website, from what IT mates have been telling me the line could be a carrier (hav'nt a clue what he meant) or it could be split. Since my phone line box is connected directly to the pole (less than 20mtrs away) i thought i may have a good chane of it passing.
    Also before the tech. man arrived i noticed he was doin something at a main box on the main road. So does your line need to be "full and clean" rather than "hunted", "split" or "carrier" to pass the test or is it just early days for me yet.
    BTW. I hav'nt a clue about all the hypinated words so if anyone knows please tell me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

AFAIR the test is done once a month, so a new line may not appear as a pass for nearly 5 weeks. A new line will initially show as a fail, no matter its condition..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 beny

the same here. I have had my line set up few (2) weeks ago and since that day it constantly fails the test on ercoms web site. I was wondering if I am better off phoning eirom and enquiering about it. Do they have another source of information about my line quality or the same as shown on thier web site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

beny wrote:
    the same here. I have had my line set up few (2) weeks ago and since that day it constantly fails the test on ercoms web site. I was wondering if I am better off phoning eirom and enquiering about it. Do they have another source of information about my line quality or the same as shown on thier web site?

The tests are only run every 4 weeks, and its either pass or fail. As you only had the line in 2 weeks ago, the test may not have been run since. AFAIK until you are tested the first time it will come up as fail. Try again in another 2 weeks and see what the result is.

In the meantime, take all unneccessary equipment off the line (sky box/isdn/playstation/second phone etc.) as if you read through the boards, they are known to cause lines to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 elcabron

I just got a new line installed today and will have the 4 week wait for the line test. I did stress to the eircom installer that I wanted it for broadband and he confirmed that it was clean with no splitter or pair gain.
    Was going to leave the socket alone, without a phone or anything for the month. However, do I need a handset plugged in for the linetest?
    This new line is nearing my last attempt with eircom.
    That offer about free install is only in premises that never had any line at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I should have said,my house was built six years ago so should i have a relatively new line?

• Advertisement
Advertisement