Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on taking Physics in UCC next year?

Options
  • 13-02-2005 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I have read quite a few posts about the different Physics courses in Ireland on this board but few seem to mention Physics in UCC. Why is this? I out it down as my first choice in the CAO but is there something about it I should know? If there is anyone here who has already completed the course could you tell me about the career opportunities after the course. I am interested in Medical Physics and Nanotechnology but is it possible to get into those sectors with the Physics and AstroPhysics degree in UCC?
    Applied Physics in UL was my second choice in the CAO does anyone know if thats held in high regard as a degree?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am sort of freaking out about my decision in the CAO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm presently doing my physics degree in UCC. You can get into nanotech by following the PhD course in it in UCC from physics. You could equally do this from Elec Eng or chemistry. Its a tough course but quite rewarding if your are able to keep up, and the department are great.

AS for medical physics, I've seen some H. Dips about it around the place so I assume that you can go into it.

The area's your interested in are really post grad areas, so as long as you have a good enough primary degree in a related field you should be fine. Physics would do this for you.

Hope the above helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Errant11235

Thanks thats of great help but can you tell me what is course like overall? Is there lab work or is it mainly theory? What are the other career outlets after the course is done, I know there are different options you take in first year which restrict your choices but generally where do the graduates work? I was looking at the prospectus and the website for UCC but its very vague regarding careers.
    Would you recommend it as a good choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thanks thats of great help but can you tell me what is course like overall? Is there lab work or is it mainly theory? What are the other career outlets after the course is done, I know there are different options you take in first year which restrict your choices but generally where do the graduates work? I was looking at the prospectus and the website for UCC but its very vague regarding careers.
    Would you recommend it as a good choice?

It wasn't the best choice for me so I'm not in a good position to tell you if it's a good choice. The course involves alot of lab work and theory, so you get a good background in both. Your choices in first year don't really restrict you that much, only if you are looking at a Joint Honours does it make a huge difference.

As for careers, I dunno all my friends who have graduated are doing their post grads now, so I don't know what the degree's worth in the job market.

Advertisement