Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

total noob trying to set up wireless router

Options
  • 13-02-2005 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have just moved house and there is eircom bb in the new house. I have a laptop and would like to use it in my room for surfing gaming ect ect. we have a netopia cdayman 3341 dsl modem and a linksys wrt54g router one computer will be using the built in ethernet switch and my laptop will be wireless. I have a belkin usb g adapter works fine it can detect the router fine but when the modem is pluged in to the router neither machine can access the net. I have been looking at other posts and see stuff like wan bridge but this i cannot find on the built in page on the modem. I really need step by step instructions as i have never tried anything like this before this is my first house with a bb connection. PLease if you can help me I would be most apperactive as I cannot use the wired machine for games as its not mine and i tend not to want to move when playing online games. thanks in advance for any help you can provide. The big C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The WAN brige option is in there somewhere. Can't remember where exactly, but it's definitely in the advanced section. After that, disable dhcp on the modem and enable dhcp on the wireless router. Then just check and make sure that the wireless router is set up to do PPoE, enter eircom and broadband1 as the username/password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You're going to be looking for PPoE for a long time on a WRT54G; it's not an ADSL router.

I have exactly 0 experience of Netopia but I'm guessing it does DHCP or Eircom does somewhere down the line, doesn't matter. Plug in the Netopia into the WAN port of the WRT54G and plug in one the PC's into one of the other four ports. Ignore the wireless stuff for now. Make sure appropriate lights light up, this means the basic electrical connection is there. The WRT54G is at 192.168.1.1 by default as far as I remember. Open that up in a web browser, password is "admin" by default I think (it's in the manual in any event). On the first page, make sure you have "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" selected. I'm pretty sure that's the default. After that's setup, go over to the Status page. The IP address should be set to whatever the DHCP server that you're talking to has assigned to you. You should see DNS entries too.

Make sure the PC is setup to do DHCP as well. It most likely is if it's working already when connected to the Netopia. If you go Network Connections, select your network connection, select TCP/IP, and look at the properties, you can see this. Open up a DOS box and type "ipconfig". This will tell you what the PC is up to. It should have been assigned an IP address on the 192.168.1.x network and 192.168.1.1 should be the gateway and 192.168.1.1 should be your DNS server.

If it's still not working, can you ping 192.168.1.1 from the PC?

I incidently suspect the WAN bridge has to do with bypassing the DHCP of the Netopia. You shouldn't have to worry about that in a basic installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Blaster99 wrote:
    You're going to be looking for PPoE for a long time on a WRT54G; it's not an ADSL router.

I have the exact same router at home and it does have an option to do PPoE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Ah, you're right. Sorry, I was talking ****e.

Advertisement