Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC Trophy (World Cup Qualifying)

• 13-02-2005 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,493 ✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to this tournament I must say. To be staged in Ireland from 1-14th July. 12 teams with 5 going to the 2007 finals in the Windies. Surelay Ireland have a great chance of making the cut.

The 12 teams are

Europe - Ireland, Scotland, Denmark and Holland
    Africa - Namibia and Uganda
    Americas - Bermuda, Canada and USA
    Asia - UAE and Oman
    + Winner of WCQS Div 2 even to be staged in Malaysia this month (The Cayman Islands, Fiji, Italy, Kuwait, Nepal, Papua New Guinea, Qatar and Zambia all compete in this)

Come on Ireland!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I am too. Also, it will be interesting with coloured clothing/white ball etc.

This is the group draw...

Group A: Bermuda, Denmark, Ireland, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United States.
    Group B: Canada, Holland, Namibia, Oman, Scotland, WCQS winner.

Group B is the group of death. 3 from Canada, Holland, Namibia and Scotland, who all have appeared in either or both of the last two World Cups. Ireland, the USA and UAE should progress from their group.

Ireland have a great chance. My only issue is that last year they had a brilliant summer. Beating Zimbabwe and the West Indies, Surrey in the C&G Trophy. But losing to Scotland in the new ICC Inter-continental 3 day match, and not making it to Sharjah didnt help. It finished the summer on a down, which had so many highs before. I hope they didnt peak too soon.

Are Sky Sports covering any of it??? And I'd like to see a fixture list sometime soon, so I can plan which games to go to!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,493 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

DMC wrote:
    I am too. Also, it will be interesting with coloured clothing/white ball etc.

This is the group draw...

Group A: Bermuda, Denmark, Ireland, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United States.
    Group B: Canada, Holland, Namibia, Oman, Scotland, WCQS winner.

Group B is the group of death. 3 from Canada, Holland, Namibia and Scotland, who all have appeared in either or both of the last two World Cups. Ireland, the USA and UAE should progress from their group.

Ireland have a great chance. My only issue is that last year they had a brilliant summer. Beating Zimbabwe and the West Indies, Surrey in the C&G Trophy. But losing to Scotland in the new ICC Inter-continental 3 day match, and not making it to Sharjah didnt help. It finished the summer on a down, which had so many highs before. I hope they didnt peak too soon.

Are Sky Sports covering any of it??? And I'd like to see a fixture list sometime soon, so I can plan which games to go to!

Dont know if Sky Sports are covering games live or highlights but I dont think so, perhaps Eurosport (now that they have 2 channels) or maybe Setanta Sports might get the finger out and cover it. Would be a perfect tournament for them now that they broadcast everyday.

As for fixtures, maybe they are waiting till the final qualifier emerges at the end of the month before finalising fixture list.

Also DMC - How does the 2nd round of the tournament work out? Is it 3 from each group into a super-six style round? With 5 of this 6 to make into the World Cup proper?
    Btw - For Irelands group I wouldnt count out the Danes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

As I understand it, yes, it is a Super Six, but there is a Trophy to be won. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

excellent ! cant wait.

Advertisement