Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Englad V South Africa

Options
  • 13-02-2005 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭

Its the final One Day International of the series

England all out for 240 (49.9overs)

Pietersen does it again with 116.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

South Africa won it handy enough in the end by 3 wickets with one over to spare

241-7 (49overs)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Pietersen is the find of the year... more so than Strauss, I think. He has to be picked for the Bangladesh series, before the Ashes.

But England persisted in Geraint Jones as an opener, which I couldn't understand breaking up Tresco and Strauss. He is a good batsman, but he's no Gilchrist, who can keep and open the batting. Tresco and Harmison couldn't get on the plane back to Blighty soon enough, very poor show from them.

South Africa... well... I think they got lucky that England more or less burned themselves out in the Test series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

What a catch from Harmison though to dismiss Hall sepite some average fielding from him throughout the rest of the day. SA seem to be getting back to some form but the bowlers are what they need to sort out. Pollock is still great but isnt getting any younger. Great Batting lineup though. They bat all the way through the 11 almost. I would be worried for England if, as you say, they stick with Jones as opener. He really isnt up to the role. Get Trescothick and Strauss back there as soon as possible. It just makes no sense to not have them opening. Good series overall particularly watching Pietersen and Kemp battling it out. What a treat it would have ben if pieterson was batting alongside Kemp in an SA shirt. The bowlers would have given up :D

WellyJ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Can anyone enlighten me on Kevin Pietersen. Whats his background? Why is it that Duncan Flectcher had never seen him play prior to the tour of Zimbabwe, and why was he always booed by the South African fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

He is South African born moved to england 5~ years ago to try and get in the English team. Good reason to boo him really :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

In relation to Duncan Fletcher not seeing Pietersen before, the England coach doesn't get much of a chance to watch county games anymore (as the best players are now centrally contracted), so he relies on his selectors to do that. I believe it was the same with Andrew Strauss.

Advertisement