Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will eircom do to counter smart

Options
  • 13-02-2005 2:12am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

What are eircom likely to do now that there'll be a capless cheaper 4* faster broadband product available to irish customers. They could just stand by and watch or...........

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

popinfresh wrote:
    What are eircom likely to do now that there'll be a capless cheaper 4* faster broadband product available to irish customers. They could just stand by and watch or...........

In the short term very little - they dont need to. All going well for Smart (and it probably wont) how many people will they be able to sign up say in the next six months or even by the end of the year?

If Eircom lower their prices they stand to lose money from all of their customers whether their own or wholesale so why take such a step when the numbers likely to be taken by Smart are comparatively small at least initially.

Smart at this stage are completely unproven in this field - as far as we know they do not have one bb customer connected. From the main|Smart thread it seems they have not considered how to manage the transfer of customers from other isps. So allowing for the fact that the earliest transferees get released comparatively quickly (and thats asking a lot!) I cannot see anyone now with an isp being connected to Smart before the first of April.

So Eircom after they get over the initial shock of Smart (and by the way I dont doubt that if they get their act together they are a huge threat to Eircom particularly as they will draw attenton to line rental once again) will probably sit back at least for a while and see how things go.

It will be interesting to see how quickly Smart will outpace NTL numbers wise never mind the other isps.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Could eircom upgrade the 512k service with a flick of a switch? Like what NTL tend to do every now and again, or would it be a lot more complicated than that.
    My eircom contracts up in 3 or 4 months. Unfortunately smart aren't offering in my area (Blanchardstown) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i doubt they'll do anything, probably offer another free trial for the summer months to keep us all locked inside when we should have the whole family on surfboards with seaguls surfing on our boards.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

I suppose they can do nothing, so they probably will :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Eircom,

will fight tooth and nail to make LLU as uneconomic and difficult as possible for Smart and anyone else who wants to go down this road. They will appeal to the new quango the Government set up as a sop to them and if that somehow fails its off to the Four Courts.

This is what Eircom have been doing for years, and I wouldn't expect things to change now especially when the one revenue stream they have that is growing, BB is under such threat.

Just my 2c

M.

• Advertisement
Advertisement