Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL2 compatibility with current equipment?

Options
  • 12-02-2005 8:58pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Are current routers modems etc compatible with ADSL2? I notice that Linksys recently launched a version of the all in one wag54g which they stated was adsl2 compatible which might suggest current equipment is not.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I doubt it is unless it's specifically mentioned in the list of features. More hardware for them to sell.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I doubt it is unless it's specifically mentioned in the list of features. More hardware for them to sell.

I think we need to know pronto. With SMART seemingly going to use it anyone buying say a modem or wireless gateway could find themselves with a very short lived piece of equipment.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Well SMART are providing free hardware. So one would assume it'd be connectable to preexisting stuff. I don't see them using a little blue (or maybe green this time :p) Zyxel modem but it would be nice to get confirmation that stuff is either compatible or can exist happily alongside current equipment.

On a point of note though. Would our equipment _need_ to support ADSL2? I don't know the differences but if it's simply a case of speed (our end) then our DSL equipment should be ok. It can handle up to 8megabits/s. I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Smart's equipment is ADSL compatible, but you may not get the same speeds.

But why would you buy an ADSL router? If you want additional functionality (like wireless) you buy a router that has an ethernet WAN port and you plug that into your existing modem/router and if/when you switch to Smart, you plug it into their router. The same applies to any other ISP, like NTL or IBB.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Smart's equipment is ADSL compatible, but you may not get the same speeds.

But why would you buy an ADSL router? If you want additional functionality (like wireless) you buy a router that has an ethernet WAN port and you plug that into your existing modem/router and if/when you switch to Smart, you plug it into their router. The same applies to any other ISP, like NTL or IBB.

Because an all in one such as the Linksys wag54g is much easier to configure for the ordinary joe soap than the combination of modem and wireless router. Talk to anyone who works in a computer shop and they will tell you about all the wireless routers that are returned as 'not working'. Just look at all the threads here about it too and remember most of the people on here are far more savvy than the ordinary joe soap who wants to go wireless.

And also remember that a lot of the early entrants to bb were supplied with modems which were usb only. It is only very recently that UTV have started supplying an ethernet modem.

• Advertisement

Very good, but you made this out to be an urgent problem ("we need to know pronto") which has nothing to do with people who bought an ADSL router in the past because they were given a USB modem. They have what they have. If they choose Smart (or any other non-ADSL ISP) in the future, they will need to buy something like a Linksys WRT54G for about €75 and plug-it into the supplied ethernet modem/router and it will work straight out of the box. And unlike your suggestion, they have a supported router in case there are any problems with the connection.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Very good, but you made this out to be an urgent problem ("we need to know pronto") which has nothing to do with people who bought an ADSL router in the past because they were given a USB modem. They have what they have. If they choose Smart (or any other non-ADSL ISP) in the future, they will need to buy something like a Linksys WRT54G for about €75 and plug-it into the supplied ethernet modem/router and it will work straight out of the box. And unlike your suggestion, they have a supported router in case there are any problems with the connection.

It is urgent both for shops who sell wireless equipment and for anyone considering buying an all in one like the like the Linksys or its equivalent from other manufacturers. For instance someone with a usb modem wanting to go wireless might decide to buy one of the all in ones now. Who would want to spend a hundred and twenty euros and then find in a couple of months that the unit does not work anymore if they become a Smart customer. And who will get the blame for selling it to them?

And if the linksys wrt54g works straight out of the box why are there so many threads on here about setting it (or its equivalent) up properly. And again talk to anyone working in a computer shop and you will find that lots of people have great difficult setting them(or their equivalent) up and end up blaming the shop on it.

Apart from in your imagination, there's no reason for anyone to buy a router with an ADSL modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Blaster99 wrote:
    Apart from in your imagination, there's no reason for anyone to buy a router with an ADSL modem.
    I want one box that does everything - that's why I would always buy a router with in build modem. I'm not going to have my hallway full of stupid flashing boxes.

Would that be "stupid" like paying twice for something? Or would it be "stupid" like using an unsupported ADSL2+ router for no reason? Just curious what level of stupidity we're talking about here...

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    Would that be "stupid" like paying twice for something? Or would it be "stupid" like using an unsupported ADSL2+ router for no reason? Just curious what level of stupidity we're talking about here...

The point in starting the thread was to attempt to find out if current equipment is compatible with ADSL2 not to discuss the merits of all in ones or a combination of router and modem. People are entitled to pursue whatever option they wish. For those considering purchasing new equipment it would be helpful for them to have the necessary information.
    Similarly for the shops who sell it.

Advertisement