Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Post

Options
  • 12-02-2005 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

First post! :D

Trojan, is this just for normal Open Source stuff, or can we also post up examples of our own code (should it be under under GPL etc)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

great far more useful then david hasselhof

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Carefull! They're watching us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What's the point of this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

WTF is all this about? I cant make out what its for! any info is appreciated! Thanks Wizzard!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

\What dis 4 ????

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Every forum needs it "first post" thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Excellent idea for a board. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Great Idea for a board !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Great Idea for a board !

Thanks ;):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You might want to change the title to OSS/FS before the FS guys get over here to open a can of whoopass on you. Or at the very least be pedantic in the extreme... :)

• Advertisement

Huh? FS? For Sale?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Macros42 wrote:
    Huh? FS? For Sale?
    Free Software. There's a difference.

dahamsta wrote:
    Free Software. There's a difference.

/me slaps head - it's been a long week.

I would say that this is an OSS forum. The Open Source movement is big enough to warrant it's own forum imo as distinct from merely free software. Free Software that isn't Open Source can continue to be listed on this thread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Sorry, I'm still confused - what is open source?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Fishie wrote:
    Sorry, I'm still confused - what is open source?
    The source code of the program is available for all to see and study, so if you want to read the code of the application you can do it. Usually the license also makes the code free to modify but you can also have licenses where it's still under control of a company - most people wouldn't classify that as open source but you can see the source so it's open to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Usually the license also makes the code free to modify but you can also have licenses where it's still under control of a company - most people wouldn't classify that as open source but you can see the source so it's open to me
    That should be considered Open Source by all, but it wouldn't be considered Free Software. The distinctions between the two are often blurred incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Open Source != Free Software.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Open Source is free as in speach , depending on the license used , you can sell it and charge for maintainance and development but you can't pass it off as your own. AFAIK even Microsoft ship Open Source modules.

Happily it's usually also free as in Beer.

But even where it is a chargable product you could recompile your own version or incorprate it into your own program.

Advertisement