Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband 1MB Breeze - Honest opinions

Options
  • 11-02-2005 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi guys,

It's 2005 and I live in Rathgar and I cant get broadband from Eircom, NTL or EsatBT. Ireland is a technological marvel in the modern world - em, right - anyway I believe I'm in line of sight with the Donnybrook mast for IBB's service.

Is it true that bad weather can affect communications between the local and remote antennea? Are speeds and contention ratios of 1024Kbps at 20:1 synchronous realistic within a wireless framework? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ,

Las.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

I have IBB 1mb for 2 mths> I am not on the donnybrook mast so can't comment there. So far bad weather has not being an issue for me although i have had 2 outages since I got it but that was down to Network Issue.

As for speed and contention ratio's I have averaged between 80-100KB i believe the max is around 120KB (i am sure i will be corrected on that if wrong)

Same old addage, when it working it great. Best advise is talk to someone that is using the Donnybrook mast for their experiances.

regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Don't worry about the connection to the mast or wireless technology in general. Worry more about IBB's ability to run a network and their dealings with capacity problems. The good news in that location is that there's very little to their network, you don't go through many hops to the internet transit connections. If you look at people's feedback here you'll notice that most people with problems are a few hops removed from the transit and have more reliance on IBB's backbone.

From what I understand, most people in your general locality are happy with the service but it's best to hear from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Laslo Panaflex

Thanks very much for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'ev had it 2 weeks now and have had only one problem. I lost my internet connection for about 10 but it came back after with no problems. My speed rarely drop below 120kB/s (therotical max is 128kB/s). In the past two weeks it has been raining, windy and sunny and it hasn't dropped a connection (except that once).

I'm very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

like it was said above, when it works its great but if you have any problems then its your worst nightmare to get solved

if i had another chance then id go with a land line...maybe 'smart' or utv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I got Breeze Install Friday, They decided to Come 2 half hours early and got it install in a week :) Speeds are 122 +

pings to boards are about 12m to 15m

And the Wind here is shocking at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I had IOLBB for a year or so and have now had IBB Breeze for a month. While it's early days to really comment about the IBB connection, so far it has been fantastic. The installation was a nightmare and took months of "we haven't got capacity on that mast, that mast isn't live yet, we're building another mast" etc... But once they did install it has been brilliant. I've had to reboot the modem once as no DNS was resolving (strangely VoIP still worked). But to be fair that's no more or less than I had on IOLBB. That had the odd outage once in a while which at the time is iratating and their customer support was next to useless, so I dont see IBB being any worse there.

Given the capless product and speed of connection there is really no comparisson with the existing residential xDSL "landline" offerings - IBB Breeze wins easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Theres a friend of mine just a very short distance away from me who has it. i can't get it (or any sort of BB) due to line of sight. Its been in use for about 2 months or more now. All good until the last couple of weeks when everythings gone haywire on it. Apparently the wireless signal strength has dropped dramatically on the connection (so I'm told) and now its pretty much unusable for almost anything. 75% packet loss on pinging away from his machine to just about anywhere (including IBB DNS servers). Will be another week or two before they can come out to check the antennae physically and check line of sight again. Sounds like someones put a bloody big crane in the way somewhere!

So it seems to be an odd service. When its working its rock-solid. If its not then its a disaster area.

I got Breeze In Friday, was looking abit dodgy getting installed, in cork its on a Building called R&H Hall,But there was about 5 heavy tree's blocking The Los, but they managed to get a good signal, About 37%, Apparently the Min is 20% if it worth while. My Speeds are 122 + pings are <15. And got it installed a week after i applied :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Im not too happy with it im in D15. Read the above thread to see the poorblems people are having out this way and in ballymun. Apart from the last 3 weeks i have had one other outage since i got it in. That was the middle od December just gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Julian

I'm just about to fill in the form to get it, but there is a box labelled contract term with the option of a 12 or 24 month contract. I was led to believe that you could cancel anytime you wanted as long as you stayed with IBB for a month, until I read the application form. Am I wrong?

If I tick the 12 month contract box, and say by the third month their service turns out to be dire can I cancel it or will I have to pay off the remainder of the contract?

Ripwave doesnt have a contract Breeze does. A Contract is a Contract you would have to pay a fee, Min is 12 months.And dont think its a trail basis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

There's only a 7 day cooling off period that you can cancel after if it doesn't work well.

Advertisement