Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom and there brutal sales talk crap

Options
  • 09-02-2005 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

I have broadband for a good while now, but I'm becoming ever increasingly tired of them and with talk of 2mb lines coming for 35 euro i might make the switch. My line is supposed to be 512k, but when i perform tests on my line thru numerous programmes and sites, my dl speed is recorded as 170 k/s and my upload speed is unknown. That is a disgrace in my opinion. I average dl's with 30k/s

I am a big gamer, and I cannot use ventrilo and cs at the same time, without my ping jumping to the hundreds. Anyone else find this crap service, and can anything be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Call the Eircom tech support and ask them to check your line and fix it. I am on the 512/128 service and regularily use Venti and Enemy Territory, and sometimes I also run flashget in the backkground with a 5-10kb/s limit. My typical download speed (highest) is 52kb/s which is fine for a 512 kbit line. 52kb=416kbit, the rest is overhead which is typical for DSL or any network connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Check if you can get NTL. 50 euro for a 1.5 MB line, better than what eircom offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

what qwertz said. I'm in Swords also and get 52K or close most of the time.
    Been with Eircom since last year, never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm in swords aswell, maybe its because I am using over two machines, just sometimes its anoying.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I'm in swords aswell, maybe its because I am using over two machines, just sometimes its anoying.

I am not an Eircom customer but from reading the various comments on the isps here it seems to be that they offer consistently the best service both for speed and pings (even people who hate them acknowledge that) so if you are experiencing problems have a good look at your own syster first.

Try one machine on its own and see what speed you get. Have you got any other stuff on your line that might affect it in some way such as cordless phones etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Hehe, thats because at the end of the day Eircom manages all the DSL-connections in Ireland. All the other providers (afaik, don't fry me if I am wrong) are selling the Eircom-service. Eircom will give the best to it's direct customers and treat the indirect ones (NTL, IOL, ESAT, whatever they are called) like crap :) But this will change sooner or later with the unbundling stuff.
    dub45 wrote:
    I am not an Eircom customer but from reading the various
    comments on the isps here it seems to be that they offer consistently the best service both for speed and pings (even people who hate them acknowledge that) so if you are experiencing problems have a good look at your own syster first.

Try one machine on its own and see what speed you get. Have you got any other stuff on your line that might affect it in some way such as cordless phones etc.

Advertisement