Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Incident

Options
  • 09-02-2005 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Unbelievable the attitude of a driver yesterda evening.

I got on the 25X and asked the driver did he go up the slip road at the Fox Hunter". He said he didn't so I said "FoxHunter" please and paid my fair.

Driving up the bus lane to the bus stop before the "Fox Hunter" bus stopped behind another one. Moved up the bus to get out. Driver pulled off just as I got to the top. I said I rang the bell to get off. He said he doesn't stop there and pointed to a notice showing the stops. I said I asked for a fair to the Fox Hunter and thus assumed this would mean he stopped there. He just shrugged his shoulders.

Why not simply say when I asked for the fare that he didn't stop there? No wonder people are reluctant to use public transport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Complain to B.A.C. Apparently they reply to email complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

May do that. Rang Conyingham road garage when I got off and they guy said he would interview the driver and get back to me within 3 hours. Rang again today got a different guy said he would ask the other guy to get back to me. Think I will email tomorrow. Have they a special compalints email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

If the bus doesn't stop there, it doesn't stop there. When you mention a place when getting a fare, it does not mean they stop at exactly that point, though they will stop near it. I am sure wherever he did let you off you did not have a huge distance to go. I wouldn't worry about it.

If the bus doesn't stop there, it doesn't stop there. When you mention a place when getting a fare, it does not mean they stop at exactly that point, though they will stop near it. I am sure wherever he did let you off you did not have a huge distance to go. I wouldn't worry about it.

25 minute walk in the rain as opposed to 5 mins and I needed to know where I was going. It drops you on the side of the N4. There is no way of getting a bus back to where I should have got off without crossing the N4. What If it was an old person or someone that didn't know the area?

Correct me I If am wrong but I believe you are supposed to state your destination when you pay your fare. He should at least have had the courstesy to say I don't stop there, there were other buses there going in the same direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

The bus was a 25X. It is widely known that DB Xpresso services don't stop at all bus stops. The purpose of this is to ensure a faster service. There's nothing worse than travelling on an Xpresso bus, with a 'decent oul skin' driving, and stopping wherever people want him to. Yes, the driver probably should have told you, when you stated your destination that he doesn't stop at that exact point. It could also be argued that you, knowing that the bus was a 25X should have asked him specifically, 'Does this bus stop at the Fox Hunter?'. It all comes down to personal responsibility, and his responsibility isn't necessarily to point out your mistake when stating your destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Surely if a passenger wishes to exit the bus then the drvier should stop, either at the next bus stop, regardless of whether that is a stop for that service. Can a passenger be "detained against their will"?

About two years ago in Cork I was on the bus and some young guy wanted to get off, for whatever reason, but the driver wouldnt stop as you say, so the passenger pressed the open door button and used his hand to keep it open (id guess that the drivers open/close door button could override the button he was pressing and so physically holding open the door was necessary)

The driver not wanting to be responsible for someone jumping off at 30mph slowed down to id say 5mph allowing the guy to jump off onto the footpath.

There was no conducter to, and the driver was busy at the wheel, and no passenger these days would get involved, so this was actually quite clever, if dangerous exit move.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

vector wrote:
    Surely if a passenger wishes to exit the bus then the drvier should stop, either at the next bus stop, regardless of whether that is a stop for that service. Can a passenger be "detained against their will"?
    I hear Aer Lingus do it all the time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

vector wrote:

But if they willingly board an Xpresso bus, they must accept that it doesn't stop at all bus stops and are therefore not being 'detained against their own will'. Or are you suggesting that people should be allowed to disembark wherever they wish, regardless of whether there's a bus stop present at all?

Ray777 wrote:
    The bus was a 25X. It is widely known that DB Xpresso services don't stop at all bus stops. The purpose of this is to ensure a faster service. There's nothing worse than travelling on an Xpresso bus, with a 'decent oul skin' driving, and stopping wherever people want him to. Yes, the driver probably should have told you, when you stated your destination that he doesn't stop at that exact point. It could also be argued that you, knowing that the bus was a 25X should have asked him specifically, 'Does this bus stop at the Fox Hunter?'. It all comes down to personal responsibility, and his responsibility isn't necessarily to point out your mistake when stating your destination.

I would have thought asking him if he went up the sliproad and when he said no asking for a fare to the "fox hunter" implied I wanted to get off there. I know in future I will have to spell it out.

I have gotten the exact same servive on other occasions and sometimes it goes up the slip road and stops and back down the other side - depends on the driver.

I have emails a complaint to them - interesting to see their reply.

A response-
    "Thank you for your e-mail.

I have addressed this problem to the operations manager of Conyngham Rd
    garage as he is responsible for this route. He has assured me he will speak
    to the driver in question and discipline him accordingly. We will also keep
    a record on his file for future reference.

On behalf of Dublin Bus please accept my apologies for this drivers
    behaviour and thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

discipline him accordingly. We will also keep
    a record on his file for future reference.

that's very different outcome to way ray suggested?

it should be made illegal to be a grumpy f***

Advertisement