Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource and gaming

Options
  • 09-02-2005 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭

Ok not sure if here or games/battlefield. We have a 2 meg down/256k up connection with netsource at work and we use it for gaming and stuff at lunchtime and after work. I know the lower the ping the better for gaming, but sometimes playing battlefield we are getting pings of over 300. Is this server side and not ours. Just did the speed test on blacknight and got 1.68Mbps. We have a cisco 800 series router and cisco pix 501 firewall. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

petes wrote:
    Ok not sure if here or games/battlefield. We have a 2 meg down/256k up connection with netsource at work and we use it for gaming and stuff at lunchtime and after work. I know the lower the ping the better for gaming, but sometimes playing battlefield we are getting pings of over 300. Is this server side and not ours. Just did the speed test on blacknight and got 1.68Mbps. We have a cisco 800 series router and cisco pix 501 firewall. Any help appreciated.

how many people are playing at the same time?
    the 256k upload speed realy limits the amount of people that can game at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The is only 3. And sometimes 2 or even 1 after work and yet still the same ping. When playing and bringing up scores, under ping over >300 whereas most others are <200/100. On some servers the ping for the server is just over 100, this is what lead me to believe that it wasnt our side. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thomasb

petes wrote:

It's also worth noting that the 2MB products have interleaving turned on - which makes the average RTT around 70 msec (for comparison, the 512k products usually are 20 msec).

As pointed out elsewhere, it depends on how many playing. It might also be worth doing a traceroute to see if the problem is DSL or something else.

Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm on their 512/128 package and my pings vary about 60-90 on bf etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

By the sounds of it it was just a slow server petes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

tuxy wrote:
    how many people are playing at the same time?
    the 256k upload speed realy limits the amount of people that can game at the same time

That shouldn't be the case for most games.

I know that CS uploads around 4-5KB MAX per person per second.

That is only a tiny fraction of the (256/8) 32KB up that he has.

Advertisement