Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lottery

Options
  • 08-02-2005 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

What is the maximum number of combinations that you can have if you have a lotto with 4 numbers to be selected from say 30 numbers ?

What are the chances of having a winner of the jackpot ( 4 numbers ), a 3 number winner , number of people having 2 numbers , one number if 1000 people do the same lotto every week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

30*29*28*27 = 657720 combinations

the rest I don't know. Its all in statistics in your maths book ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Amount of 4 number combinations from 30 is
    30C4 = 30!/(4!.26!) = (30.29.28.27)/(4.3.2.1) = 27,405 combinations.

In the second part of your post I'm not sure what you mean - are you asking for the chances of all that happening together or is it 4 seperate questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

joe. wrote:
    30*29*28*27 = 657720 combinations
    That's the number of permutations.

The number of combinations is the above number divided by the number of permutations of each set of four numbers (the math is the same as Crumbs points out).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SiobhIreland

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to calculate the odds of matching at least 4 numbers in a lottery where you select 6 out of 45 numbers?

If I was to enter 20 lines of 6 numbers, what is the probability of matching at least 4 numbers?

Thanks,
    Siobh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Crumbs wrote: »
    ... or is it 4 seperate questions?
    It was 10 years ago but I'm still embarrassed that I misspelled "separate".

• Advertisement
Advertisement