Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herbie Hancock

Options
  • 08-02-2005 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

:cool: I know some of herbies stuff from late seventies and early eighties, like his song rockitt. I know he did stuff with Miles Davis. But who is the real Herbie Hancock? Can anyone recommend a good album to buy?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Ah what a legend. The real Herbie Hancock? Well for me it's Headhunters, pure and simple. Funktastic!

He's played many different genres though, it depends in your taste. For earlier 60s stuff, you can't do much better than Maiden Voyage - this should be part of any Hancock fan's collection. I'd also recommend "Cantaloupe Island" - although it's a compilation and not an actual album he released, it's got some great tunes of his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The real Herbie Hancock is a bit of an arrogant chappie apparently! Still much to be arrogant about! :D

As mentioned above Headhunters is a good starting point, Maiden Voyage is highly rated, for Bill Laswell 80s stuff get Future Shock.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Headhunters all the way. What an amazing album.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Thanks for that. What album is the song 'I thought it was you' on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That track first appeared on Sunlight (1977) but its on almost any compliation as it was a hit.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

That track first appeared on Sunlight (1977) but its on almost any compliation as it was a hit.

Mike.

Thanks for that. That song is agoing through my head all day. How was Herbie a bit narky? Did he like the druginis?

Advertisement