Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESAT Broadband

Options
  • 08-02-2005 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

OK i have broadband at home for about the last 6 months, when we got it first we were sent out all the usual stuff to set it up 'broadband router' etc. We tried setting it up and couldnt( we taught there was something wrong with the router) so Esat sent us out a new one and it worked, and it turned out the first router had nothing wrong with it(it was just our fu.ck up) so now we're using one of the routers on a computer downstairs and i was wondering could i use the other one on a different computer in the same house same phone line and will it work???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Nope, you can only log on once.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Moderater wrote:
    OK i have broadband at home for about the last 6 months, when we got it first we were sent out all the usual stuff to set it up 'broadband router' etc. We tried setting it up and couldnt( we taught there was something wrong with the router) so Esat sent us out a new one and it worked, and it turned out the first router had nothing wrong with it(it was just our fu.ck up) so now we're using one of the routers on a computer downstairs and i was wondering could i use the other one on a different computer in the same house same phone line and will it work???

Be honest:) send them back the router - buy yourself a wirless router and a wireless card and surf with a clear conscience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Ye but could i use it if i only used 1 computer at a time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maderator

tight muppet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 He!p

What make and model is the Esat Broadand box. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Get yourself a wireless router and wireless PCI card. Should come in at about €100. I have the Linksys router and PCI and PCMCIA wireless equip and it works excellently. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

He!p wrote:
    What make and model is the Esat Broadand box. :confused:

Its the ZyXEL PRESTIGE 600 series.
    Get yourself a wireless router and wireless PCI card. Should come in at about €100. I have the Linksys router and PCI and PCMCIA wireless equip and it works excellently.
    We probably will do this but all i want to know is would it work provided only one computer is using broadband at the one time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Moderater wrote:
    We probably will do this but all i want to know is would it work provided only one computer is using broadband at the one time
    I've got 2 pc's and a laptop all sharing the broadband connection wirelessly through the router. Not sure how many simultaneous connections you can have, but it's more than enough to suit a home user.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Moderater wrote:
    Its the ZyXEL PRESTIGE 600 series.

If you just plug each modem into the phone point as you use them it will work no problem. If you leave them in the phone point even though they are switched off the second powered off one may still stop the other one connecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭col22

maderator wrote:
    tight muppet
    newbie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Cut out all the crap talk, please. Stick to the topic. If you don't, you'll be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jc4

A single router is able to connect multible pc's to a broadband connection.
    Dont use 2 of them. If the one downstairs is getting dsl synch then just run an ethernet cable from it to the pc upstairs providing you have a network card in the pc. If you put a router on the phone line upstairs it probably will not get dsl synch. Check to see if there is an ethernet or usb connection or both on the router. USB is only good for a few metres so connect that to the one downstairs.
    Ethernet connection is good for 100 metres so run it upstairs.

Advertisement