Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL Server and all features needed for windows XP

Options
  • 07-02-2005 5:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭

as the title suggests i need to build a MySQL database to be used in conjunction with an online application on my windows computer and so i need to download a server and all necessary features etc.

There is alot of different things available for download on MySQL.com but im not sure exactly what would be the best things to download. I basically just need the recommended elements.

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Version will probably be Mysql 4.1 for windows, including installer or perhaps the essentials version.
    You probably will find mysql administrator to be of use, but you can do without it, if you're willing to use the command line.

beyond that:

Is your web application in development or being deployed?
    This determines whether you want management tools like query browser, or the APIs.

Are you going to connect to the database through an ODBC connection or a mysql C, C++, Net, Java, PHP API?

You may, depending on the application require the ODBC driver, if you want to connect through, say, VB6 or access.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

the web application is still in development and im going to be using JSP to connect to the database.

its an image website that will allow users to display their images online in galleries so basically the database needs to contain a table for user details because they will have to register with the site and then log on and it will have to contain a table for images for information about the images and a pointer to where the image is stored.

i have downloaded server 4.1 and both the administrator and query browser.

Im having problems using the administrator and query browser because it asks for you to enter the server host name but when you run the configuration wizard for the server 4.1 it doesnt ask you to name the server.
    I cant use either of these without knowing the server host name

Any ideas how to overcome this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

Kingp35 wrote:
    Im having problems using the administrator and query browser because it asks for you to enter the server host name but when you run the configuration wizard for the server 4.1 it doesnt ask you to name the server.
    I cant use either of these without knowing the server host name
    Any ideas how to overcome this??

host is the name of your computer, the DB runs on your computer
    if you are accessing the DB server from the same computer use
    localhost.

What you need:
    Apache Tomcat 5.5.7(to run jsps)
    MySQL Connector/J 3.1(jdbc from jsps to DB)
    MySql the Windows Essentials (x86) version

the quickest way to get MySql up and running is to use
    the windows installer.
    1:
    follow the installer instructions
    2:
    the installer should place a command prompt icon in your start menu in the
    Mysql folder.
    3:
    open this and type in the password you set using installer
    4:
    then type ->show tables;
    to display the tables
    5:
    you can use SQL to create tables and query them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

do you have to name your database and if sohow do you do this.

Thanks by the way very helpfull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

everything is done via mysqladmin iir

You admin it via the webpage

madramor wrote:
    host is the name of your computer, the DB runs on your computer
    if you are accessing the DB server from the same computer use
    localhost.

yeah it says access denied for some reason. im thinking that i need to enter a user name but again it didnt allow me to specify one. How to i create an account that allows me to access MySQL administrator??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The username should be root.

In the command prompt, cd to c:\mysql\bin (or wherever).

then run
    mysqladmin -u root -p

It should prompt you for a password. I could be getting mixed up though.

{EDIT:

Actually, mysqladmin allow you to do specific things, so it's
    mysqladmin -u root -p <command>

Whereas to access the MySQL interface, it's just
    mysql -u root -p

:)

perfect thanks alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Amaru

Seen as this thread seems to have run its course, and my question is very similar, i won't bother starting a new thread and just post here.

If i want to connect to an offline MYSQL database in XP, using HTML/PHP, do i need anything extra beyond the mysql installer on my computer? Does PHP even work offline?

• Advertisement

Amaru wrote:
    Seen as this thread seems to have run its course, and my question is very similar, i won't bother starting a new thread and just post here.

If i want to connect to an offline MYSQL database in XP, using HTML/PHP, do i need anything extra beyond the mysql installer on my computer? Does PHP even work offline?
    You need to set your machine up as a server, to serve PHP pages. Afaik, you can get servers out there that you install and it has PHP and all set up, they're designed for this, but otherwise check the webmaster boards for installing Apache and PHP on windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Amaru

seamus wrote:
    but otherwise check the webmaster boards for installing Apache and PHP on windows.

Sorry, but i don't follow. Webmaster boards?

Amaru wrote:
    Sorry, but i don't follow. Webmaster boards?
    Webmaster board. My typo, sorry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Check out wamp - handy installer for apache, php and mysql... Should do the trick for what you need on windows

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If your working with mySql databases you might want to download "MySQL Control Center" from the mysql website. Its quite a useful tool.

http://www.mysql.com/products/mysqlcc/

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Beef wrote:
    Check out wamp - handy installer for apache, php and mysql... Should do the trick for what you need on windows
    It won't work on my system properly. Have also tried foxserv and e-novative wamp - PHP won't show up variables properly and therefore it's completely useless. Have tried my home PC and my work PC if there's something I'm doing wrong please tell me but the script I'm using works fine on my blacknight.ie webhosting so why not on my wamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

I've been trawling the internet looking for a server that actually works and I found one that doesn't install or upset your registry, it just runs. Also it does everything I need it to do - APACHE, PHP, SQL and PHPmyadmin. you can't go wrong.

it's a available at:

http://www.uniformserver.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Already been answered but I used phpTriad for a while when I didn't have access to an internet connection upstairs for offline web development.

One installer and it installs Apache, PHP and MySQL and it's real easy to use (even considering how much of a newb I was to it at the time)

Also gives you phpMyAdmin and stuff in case you're just getting started and can't figure out the MySQL client

Advertisement