Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Esat ADSL

Options
  • 07-02-2005 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently got ADSL from EsatBT (512/128) and have run into a problem. At seemingly random times, I seem to be unable to make new connections. Websites dont load, neither does msn, or online games etc. Nothing that requires a new connection. However, open connections remain unaffected, e.g If I have a download running it will continue, or if I am playing a multiplayer game it will work perfectly. But I cannot open sites etc. This is very irritating and any help or ideas as to what is going on would be much appreciated. Im using the supplied ZyXEL Prestige Prestige 623R-T1 Modem/Router connected via ethernet. My computer is Win XP home, 2.6ghz, 512 megs ram, Pentium 4.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I've noticed this happen before (not in the last few months) - if I'm gaming or downloading something, and then I go to browse normally, it throws up a few "page cannot be found" errors. The way I got around it was to restart my computer.

Well it seems to happen quite alot, not a once in a ferw months thing. Seems to be fine except cant make any new connections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Steve S

If this happens when using BitTorrent or some other P2P programme, it's almost certainly due to the fact that the Zyxel is functioning not only as a modem but also as a router and, basically, it's a crap router.

If you have another router attached to the modem, you should use that as your router and put the modem into 'bridge mode' so that its router functions are disabled. Instructions for how to do this are in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=185149&highlight=encapsulation

Well I dont use it as a router (It's basically just 1 ethernet port, 1 usb) and I use the ethernet. Would bridge mode still work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Steve S

Well I dont use it as a router (It's basically just 1 ethernet port, 1 usb) and I use the ethernet. Would bridge mode still work?

You don't think you use it as a router, but it nevertheless is freaking out when overloaded by too many connections and it locks up. Do the bridge mode thing and you'll be a lot happier (provided you have another router attached to the modem).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If that doesn't work, it may be that if xp sp2 (if youre running that) is limiting your tcp connections. To fix that, try this app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Had a similar thing happen to me. Check your security log on your router. Probably find syn/ack attacks happening to you. Overloading your open connections that are waiting on acknowledgement packets that will never return. You could try change your tcp connections like the above poster suggested.

My solution was to get rid of my Belkin router (stopped working properly after 6 months) and get a router with real DoS firewall protection. May I recommend Netgear's latest wireless router offering. Haven't had the problem since. Also my ping are 10ms lower. I'm a happy camper.

Im running sp1. Does sp1 limit max connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

No, it doesn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement