Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish

Options
  • 07-02-2005 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

I happened to be back home in KK on Sat/Sun (am living in exile in Cork)...

I couldn't get over the amount of domestic rubbish that's been dumped on the streets aound the bins on the street. Almost every rubbish bin on John Street, Kieran St and High Street had at least 2 black sacks of rubbish just dumped around it. There was one bin on lower john street that had six bags dumped on it..... And of course the dogs had been at it so the rubbish was all over the place.... and it smelt rank.... not good for a hangover.

There were more bags down by the river bank (on the dunnes side).

Are the corpo not doing anything about it? Is there a litter warden in KK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I'm guessing one of the bins you mentioned is beside the bench before Bretts Hardware. The rubbish is unnatural, though some seems also to be from some of the commercials places.

They won't remove them because this only encourages people to continue doing it. There is a litter warden (two, total erm..won't go into it here..)
    I can understand how some people might find 5euro for a bag of rubbish difficult (large family ec, low wage etc) but often these bags so enough income to buy beer and "luxuries".

THe place looks dreadful expecially when bags torn open .

At the same time I see my mum on her widows pension make an art out of fitting stuff in the recycling bags, and panicking about food been held over for two weeks .

Maybe you should send your note to the corp ? at least might make the litter wardens get their finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I'm guessing one of the bins you mentioned is beside the bench before Bretts Hardware.

My family lives on John Street actually...

That bin you mentioned had 2 black bags beside it that were torn open by dogs/cats/crows/all of the aforementioned.

The bin with 6 bags was further down the street around Biddy Early's pub.

No bin on the four main streets (High Street/Kieran Street/Rose Inn Street/John Street) seemed to have escaped!

As for the corpo...I know several people have been onto them about it...I'll be sending them an email/letter too.

Interesting to note that similar is happening in cork! Kathleen Lynch (local Labour TD) is bringing the Cork City Manager to court to force the city council to clean up the rubbish dumped in the city...

http://beecher.org/cccwm/ from boards user dahamsta

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=222987

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I forgot to mention when you spoke of Litter wardens

I got a bill/fine of 125.oo from out localw arden (who was supposedly a friend of mine, we were both inthe same unit in Civil Defence)

the fine was for litter, what had i done?

left my bag out for collection ?
    Am told the corpo deliberately didnt collect bags from people who had not paid charges (my landlord !!) then the litter arden picked some at random?

I could not believe he did it, i mean other peoples addresses were available (pratt)
    I rang , they said NO WAY could they cancel

I said ok will seeya in court / possibly hear your name mentione don the radio as the guy who fines people for leaving out their rubbish

wrote clever letter, got the "NOWAY" fine cancelled

grrrrr

Well i sent off an email to all the Cllrs on the Council and the TDs and MEPs for the area too. Will be interesting to see who writes back. So far, I got an acknowledgement from Avril Doyle MEP.Some of the email addresses bounced my mail back so I printed it off and posted it to them.....

And if I hear nothing back after a week I'll write a letter to the People!

One reply so far to my rantings. From Lab Cllr Sean O hArgain:
    a chara,
    As it happens , I organised a meting between the residents of the Butt's
    area and the local engineer this afternoon on the whole issue of illegal
    dumping. It has become a huge issue in the city, and I agree wholeheartedly
    with you that action must be taken. Unfortunately the principle of 'polluter
    pays' is one I agree with, but the lack of a waiver system in Kilkenny is
    not helping.Hopefully we can address the issue in a sensible, balanced way
    in the weeks to come to sort out the problems to come before the summer,
    In agreement,
    Seán

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I live in glendine and over in the quarry there is nothing but barrells of a coloured liquid. There is also blacksacks full of cloths and domestic waste. I saw travellers dumping rubbish from there van. Its soon going to stop because they are building houses and finishing the rest of the ringroad trough it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Plug wrote:
    I live in glendine and over in the quarry there is nothing but barrells of a coloured liquid. There is also blacksacks full of cloths and domestic waste. I saw travellers dumping rubbish from there van. Its soon going to stop because they are building houses and finishing the rest of the ringroad trough it.

Great, which do you wasnt in your back yard, a rubbish tip or a ring road?

Advertisement