Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with EsatBT modem and wireless router

Options
  • 06-02-2005 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi-

I'm going mad trying to hook a wireless router to the esatbt modem, zyxel prestige 623R. the modem is supplied with the ip address 192.168.1.1. the router also comes with this ip address. i've turned off dhcp on the router and given it the ip address 192.168.1.40 (the modem's client ip pool starting address is 192.168.1.33 and the size of the pool is 32).

i've hooked up with the modem successfully with a usb cable that came with it and i've used a lan connection to configure the router (router is a linksys wireless-g broadband router). i connect the router to the modem from the 'internet' socket to the 'lan' socket on the modem. then, when i remove the usb connection from my pc to the modem (physical connection is the pc - router (lan cable) - modem), i lose internet access, i.e. the pc can't talk to the modem through the router.

i haven't entered any host or dns details in any of the settings for the router and my lan connection is configured the optain an i.p. address automatically.

any ideas?

thanks,
    hag

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭spuddy

hag wrote:
    Hi-

I'm going mad trying to hook a wireless router to the esatbt modem, zyxel prestige 623R. the modem is supplied with the ip address 192.168.1.1. the router also comes with this ip address. i've turned off dhcp on the router and given it the ip address 192.168.1.40 (the modem's client ip pool starting address is 192.168.1.33 and the size of the pool is 32).

i've hooked up with the modem successfully with a usb cable that came with it and i've used a lan connection to configure the router (router is a linksys wireless-g broadband router). i connect the router to the modem from the 'internet' socket to the 'lan' socket on the modem. then, when i remove the usb connection from my pc to the modem (physical connection is the pc - router (lan cable) - modem), i lose internet access, i.e. the pc can't talk to the modem through the router.

i haven't entered any host or dns details in any of the settings for the router and my lan connection is configured the optain an i.p. address automatically.

any ideas?

thanks,
    hag

using ethernet connections
    hook the esat modem up to your pc

set the modem up as a bridge (use the wizard)

next connect the modem to the wireless router and configure it with your internet connection settings

let the wireless router handle your dhcp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hag

spuddy wrote:
    using ethernet connections
    hook the esat modem up to your pc

set the modem up as a bridge (use the wizard)

next connect the modem to the wireless router and configure it with your internet connection settings

let the wireless router handle your dhcp
    great! thanks. i'll have a go and let you know how i get on.

edit: will this work with windows 2k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

hag wrote:
    great! thanks. i'll have a go and let you know how i get on.
    Hi
    where are u based i am in sandyford dublin and need somebody to get my setup going are u into a nixer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hag

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi
    where are u based i am in sandyford dublin and need somebody to get my setup going are u into a nixer
    i'm really only into getting myself up and running, i have a full-time job :) i'm happy to post anything i learn here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭spuddy

hag wrote:
    edit: will this work with windows 2k?

it'll work with any OS, but you can let me know if you have any more probs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement