Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about Irish broadband

Options
  • 06-02-2005 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I've been looking at irishbroadband and the breeze 1mb lite package.

How big is the antenae that they have to install, is it ugly and very noticeable or is it discreet? Must it go on an exact position on the roof of the house or will they position it somewhere more concealed, like my back roof(facing my back garden) if I ask them to? I ask this because my house is semi-detached and my neighbours wouldnt be too excited on a big gaudy aerial/box being installed on our shared chimney.

How are people with the breeze 1mb package finding it? I heard before that irish broadband were offering free installation to students last december, is this offer still on? btw I've rung their customer services and they seemed to know nothing whenever I asked them anything specific.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I got mine installed on friday. Download speed haven't dropped below 120KB/s and pings range from great to acceptable.No problems so far.

The antenna is roughly 6ft tall (probably more) and the box is a diamon shaped and about the size of an A4 page. Theres pictures of it going around on the forum, I'll try and take some if I get home tomorrow before it gets dark.

I think they have to install is on the highest point on the house but if you have line of site from the back they might.

The free instillation only applies to students of certain colleges. DCU and portobello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Julian

Thanks Ciaran. I'd really appreciate those pictures.

The only thing putting me off ibb is the fact that it may need to be positioned near my chimney and my neighbours would be far from happy if that happened.

So I just email them a scan of the student card and installation is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

i no what ya mean about worrying about the size of it, Lucky for me my house is Fairly Tall so might not need a very big one :)

I was afraid that I'd call them out to install it and they'd plant something the size of an oak tree on my roof.

Ciaran, how long did it take from the day you ordered it for them to come out and install it? Did it take long to install?

I ordered it sometime around November and the installed last week. I think I could of got it earlier if had pressured them but I just sent it in an forgot about it.

The install took nearly an hour and a half.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

The aerial that I have is the same size as the one in the pics above, but it only sticks up just above the chimney, nowhere near as high above the house as that one, so I suppose how far above the house it will go will depend on where you are. That one seems worryingly high.

In the middle pic, if I were to take a photo from the same angle, mine wouldn't be visible at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

That looks likea pretty high aerial :eek: mine is strapped to the chimney and extends about 6 inches above it very discreet I must say,although I suppose it all depends on what you have to look over to get LOS maybe thats why the pole for that install is so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I guess it's required due to LOS.
    Ciaran500 - Did you fax through all the application forms and then wait for a LOS test?
    I'm thinking about getting the same IBB Breeze, but just need to know the exact steps.
    Can you let me know how you got on step by step?
    Would be good to hear from a customer (I'd really appreciate it) instead of the company themselves, just to see what to expect

I rang them back in November about getting Breeze installed they said they already done a LOS test for my area so I could avail of breeze. So I downloaded the forms then posted them in. Then I rang about a week later to confirm everything had arrived and I was told it will be about 2 weeks before I would get an install date from then. I rang two weeks later and was told that they are doing work on the aerial and they are not accepting any now customers till they finish.

A couple of days later I was told that our phone line had been updated so I could now get broadband. So I completly forgot about IBB and pursued Esat because I never thought IBB would come through. Then 2 weeks ago I got a call about setting a date for the install, so I set it that friday, they arrived early and had it running in an hour and a half.

There is alot of tree to the left of my house (where the aerial is pointing) so I assume its up that high to get over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

cheers for that.
    I must join the broadband revolution now!

Got an interesting point to ask IBB - If a building is built between my house and the transmitter, blocking the LOS... what happens then?

This could be very likely due to the area I'm in.
    I wonder if this would apply to your trees Ciaran500 - they will be "heavier" with leaves during summer month (less visability).
    I guess thats why they had to make sure they were well clear.

I'll tell you in a few months :D

Ciaran, thanks for taking the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

with my LOS i was told that i could get it in but in the summer id be fcuked as the tree grew leaves and am too far from three rock even though im well within the coverage map (goatstown) and can see the mast from the bedrooms.

Advertisement