Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set up needed

Options
  • 06-02-2005 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I need somebody that will setup my brodband router for me in my house i live in sandyford so the closer the better i got the router and notebook adapter
    and i hope the person will not charge me to many euros a fair price is ok ta ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi
    I need somebody that will setup my brodband router for me in my house i live in sandyford so the closer the better i got the router and notebook adapter
    and i hope the person will not charge me to many euros a fair price is ok ta ;)

There really should be no need to pay anyone - if you give full details of your equipment and provider here I am sure there will be a few people only too willing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    The make is linksys wireless g router and linksys wireless g notebook adapter
    and the modem is zyxel modem help help

bump bump

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi
    The make is linksys wireless g router and linksys wireless g notebook adapter
    and the modem is zyxel modem help help

Is this the modem that UTV were giving out up to recently? If so I dont think you can use a router with it as it has not got an ethernet port on it. Hopefully I am wrong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think the zyxel is the IOL modem, my mate had set this up a while back with same hardware but i haven't a clue how he set it up

• Advertisement

Hi
    Can anybody help and yes it is the 1 with iol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've been doing this at home with my IOL setup too, it's a bit complicated so I'll try to explain how I did it. I'm in Limerick so not much help can be offered in person, if you want though I can PM you my phone number and try to talk you through it.

For the record, my wireless router is a Belkin one, but the modem is the Zyxel from IOL. It should probably be a similar setup procedure though.

Firslty, I assume you have the connection to IOL working fine nomrally through the ethernet card in your PC. If not, you need to get that working first.

Next, you need to remember that the DSL modem will want to be the DHCP server, and will hand out TCP/IP addresses to any PC connecting to it, but the wireless router will be doing the same thing. Firstly, I connected the wireless router to the PC by the RJ45 network cable. Then you can access the control panel by an IP address in IE or Firefox or any browser. The IP for my router was 192.168.2.1, where as the DSL modem is 192.168.1.1

Find the settings to dissable DHCP in the router, your instruction manual should have details. I also changed it's address to 192.168.1.99

I then enabled one of the security protocols (128bit WEP encryption) and set an access code. Note down the code as you'll need this to access the router in wireless mode via your USB wireless NIC.

You can fine tune other settings later on.

After this, disconnect the router from the PC and connect it to the DSL modem through an RJ45 cable.

Make sure your wireless connection is live and use the above noted access code to connect to the router. You should be able to ping the router in a command prompt, with ping 192.168.1.99 (if that is the address of the router). You should also be able to ping the DSL modem, ping 192.168.1.1
    If the pings work, you're sorted.

Hopefully the DSL modem will see the PC through the router, and assign an IP address to it. By default, the IOL modem will start at 192.168.1.33 for the first PC.

You should now be able to configure the modem via the web interface at 192.168.1.1 and the wireless router at 192.168.1.99 all over you wireless connection. You should also have access to the internet.

One question though, is the Linksys router a broudband modem, like WRT54G? My Belkin router is a DSL modem too, but I haven't been able to get it to connect to IOL yet, hence all the messing about with connecting the Zyxel modem through it. I'm still going to see about getting it up and running on it's own as it would be easier than having to routers for the one job.

I'm pretty sure I have everything entered correctly, and the DSL connection seems to be active (according to the control panel anyway) but I have no connection outside the router.

jor el wrote:
    I've been doing this at home with my IOL setup too, it's a bit complicated so I'll try to explain how I did it. I'm in Limerick so not much help can be offered in person, if you want though I can PM you my phone number and try to talk you through it.

For the record, my wireless router is a Belkin one, but the modem is the Zyxel from IOL. It should probably be a similar setup procedure though.

Firslty, I assume you have the connection to IOL working fine nomrally through the ethernet card in your PC. If not, you need to get that working first.

Next, you need to remember that the DSL modem will want to be the DHCP server, and will hand out TCP/IP addresses to any PC connecting to it, but the wireless router will be doing the same thing. Firstly, I connected the wireless router to the PC by the RJ45 network cable. Then you can access the control panel by an IP address in IE or Firefox or any browser. The IP for my router was 192.168.2.1, where as the DSL modem is 192.168.1.1

Find the settings to dissable DHCP in the router, your instruction manual should have details. I also changed it's address to 192.168.1.99

I then enabled one of the security protocols (128bit WEP encryption) and set an access code. Note down the code as you'll need this to access the router in wireless mode via your USB wireless NIC.

You can fine tune other settings later on.

After this, disconnect the router from the PC and connect it to the DSL modem through an RJ45 cable.

Make sure your wireless connection is live and use the above noted access code to connect to the router. You should be able to ping the router in a command prompt, with ping 192.168.1.99 (if that is the address of the router). You should also be able to ping the DSL modem, ping 192.168.1.1
    If the pings work, you're sorted.

Hopefully the DSL modem will see the PC through the router, and assign an IP address to it. By default, the IOL modem will start at 192.168.1.33 for the first PC.

You should now be able to configure the modem via the web interface at 192.168.1.1 and the wireless router at 192.168.1.99 all over you wireless connection. You should also have access to the internet.

One question though, is the Linksys router a broudband modem, like WRT54G? My Belkin router is a DSL modem too, but I haven't been able to get it to connect to IOL yet, hence all the messing about with connecting the Zyxel modem through it. I'm still going to see about getting it up and running on it's own as it would be easier than having to routers for the one job.

I'm pretty sure I have everything entered correctly, and the DSL connection seems to be active (according to the control panel anyway) but I have no connection outside the router.
    My god i will never be able to do all that?. I would like to thank you for trying to help me your answer must have taking ages to type out i wish you lived in dublin and all my probs would be all gone THANK YOU AGAIN BUT STILL LOOKING?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭PaulMcG

Just follow the instructions in the book...

PaulMcG wrote:
    Just follow the instructions in the book...
    I would if i had a clue what i was doing and i dont have a lot off time with work

• Advertisement

Help please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

PM'd

• Registered Users Posts: 36 the_vick

I've got UTV Clicksilver (with the new Creative Ethernet DSL router) and I bought the linksys wireless g router last week. Setting it up was a bit tricky, but the following article helped me:

http://www.linksys.com/support/top10faqs/wrt54g/Connecting%20two%20WRT54G%20routers%20together.asp

Consider the DSL router as the main (first router) and the Linksys router and the secondary router. You just need to disable DHCP on the Linksys and give it a new IP address (follow the instructions in the link above to do this).

Plug your notebook into the Linksys (via ethernet) and then go to http://192.168.1.2 (assuming you followed the instructions above). Click on the "wireless" tab on this page and enter the name for your wireless network (SSID). Click save settings.

Assuming you have the wireless network card in the laptop, you should see that you now have a connection to your wireless network (you may need to refresh).

When you've got this going, don't forget to secure your network.

Best of luck..

the_vick wrote:
    I've got UTV Clicksilver (with the new Creative Ethernet DSL router) and I bought the linksys wireless g router last week. Setting it up was a bit tricky, but the following article helped me:

http://www.linksys.com/support/top10faqs/wrt54g/Connecting%20two%20WRT54G%20routers%20together.asp

Consider the DSL router as the main (first router) and the Linksys router and the secondary router. You just need to disable DHCP on the Linksys and give it a new IP address (follow the instructions in the link above to do this).

Plug your notebook into the Linksys (via ethernet) and then go to http://192.168.1.2 (assuming you followed the instructions above). Click on the "wireless" tab on this page and enter the name for your wireless network (SSID). Click save settings.

Assuming you have the wireless network card in the laptop, you should see that you now have a connection to your wireless network (you may need to refresh).

When you've got this going, don't forget to secure your network.

Best of luck..
    Thank you but i was told by a nice man that the setup i got wont work with my modem so i have to get a new modem with a lam on it my modem is usb but thank you for trying to help

Are you absolutely sure that it has no ethernet port on it? I did not think that IOL gave out USB only modems. Can you see what serial number is on it?

dub45 wrote:
    Are you absolutely sure that it has no ethernet port on it? I did not think that IOL gave out USB only modems. Can you see what serial number is on it?
    zyxel prestige 630

Carpenter wrote:
    zyxel prestige 630

From the website it looks as if this is only USB ok which means that you cannot use the router with it. If the wireless router is still brand new is ther any possibility you could bring it back and change it for the Linksys wag54g? this is a wireless router with a build in modem and it is very easy to set up and in your circumstances I would definitely say it is your best option.

There is some useful info here.

Advertisement