Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book / reading groups?

Options
  • 05-02-2005 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Hi, have recently got back into reading and was wondering if anyone knows of any book groups or reading groups in South Dublin or anywhere in Wicklow.

An idea of what I've read recently if it's of any interest:

Success - Martin Amis (reading currently)
    Baghdad Business School - Heyrick Bond Gunning
    Money - Martin Amis
    The Rachel Papers - Martin Amis
    You Can't Do Both - Kingsley Amis
    The Bookseller of Kabul - Asne Seierstad
    101 Days: A Baghdad Journal - Asne Seierstad
    Hidden Agendas - John Pilger
    Losing My Virginity - Richard Branson
    Pretty Straight Guys - Nick Cohen
    Servants of the People - Andrew Rawnsley
    Captive State - George Monbiot
    Age of Consent - George Monbiot

Have also read quite a bit on politics, journalism and New Labour. (I have a journalism degree) as well as 'lad lit' by Mike Gayle and Nick Hornby...

Oh, I'm also after Engineering of Consent by Edward Bernays if anyone knows where I can get it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I've read the rachel papers - twas ok, nothing great
    age of consent - liked this a lot
    bookseller of kabul - nice interesting, light enough read

how was captive state??

maybe try bibliofemme.com or the message board there, there might be some book clubs listed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Thanks for your response. I think most Amis' books seem to be 'lad lit', so I'm not surprised you weren't that impressed. Captive State gives a well-researched and anger-inducing insight into how New Labour in the UK cosies up to big business and how its needs and the profit imperative are put first.

Advertisement