Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what should I listen to eh?

Options
  • 05-02-2005 5:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

I've decided to start looking more in the rap/hip-hop side of the musical planet for my fix, but I don't know an awful lot about the genre or many artists.

So far i've listened to (and loved) arrested development, j5, dead prez, the beatnuts,Dj Format, btk (although I seem to be the only one who likes them :) ). that'd be more rap than the hip-hop side of things though, right? ..

anybody feel like reccomending a few bands to check out? I'll listen to pretty much anything.. except gangsta

much thanks to all who help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Did you like cLOUDDEAD when you listened to them?

Anyway more stuff you would like
    Blackalicious - if you like J5 you'll like them.
    Laytrx (Lyrics Born) - same vein as Blackalicious (both on Quannum)
    sticking with Quannum, DJ Shadow, if you like Format you should like Shadow, which means you should like RJD2
    With RJD2 we move to Def Jux label and Cannibal Ox, Aesop Rock, Company Flow and Mr Lif
    Of those I'd go with Mr Lif first, he's more like the artists you've mentioned than the others. I Phantom is the album I'd go for.
    Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein, is one of my favourite albums. It's a bit dark though.
    Aesop Rock - Labor Days album, his best imo.
    The Roots are great, full band and they produce some quality music. Latetest stuff hasnt been up their usual high standards but it's still good. Things Fall Apart is their best album imo.

Actually, just look through my Audioscrobbler list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ooh, yes. cLOUDDEAD.. I had forgotten about them. yeah, I liked them when I listened to them.. must do so again. I don't think I spent very long listening to them last time.. so much new music, some bands get lost in the mp3 directory.

I'll make my way through that list :) I have heard blackalicious, and iirc I liked it.. but wasn't mad into it. think I listened to "blazing arrow".. but I'll look for a bit more if they come well reccomended.

Nia is a better album than Blazing Arrow.
    You should certainly check it out.

a soulive mp3 fell onto my hard drive by accident as I was listening to the beatnuts.. and wow

gotta get more of these guys

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

few more albums to check out (although mostly from the "rap side of things":)
    tribe called quest - the low end theory
    the pharcyde - bizzare ride to the pharcyde
    de la soul - 3 feet high and rising (my favourite hip hop album)
    jungle brothers

• Advertisement

ogy wrote:
    de la soul - 3 feet high and rising (my favourite hip hop album)
    jungle brothers

i have that de la soul album, got it alst week but havne't listened to it yet. Will do so tonight :)

have a few jungle brothers songs too I found last week on a cd I burned about 4 years ago.. crazy coincidence, but I'll give them a go too hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

not a hiphpop/rap fan AT ALL,
    but try ugly duckling and handsome boy modelling school.

Yeah, good choice moonboy.

initial reactions.. the roots, handsome boy modelling school.... wow

sweet jesus, I didn't know they made music this good

(well that's not quite true, I do love tool :) still.. wow)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Yeah, Ugly Duckling's "Meat Shake" album is a good laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Souls of Mischief are worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

the pharcyde - bizzare ride to the pharcyde
    fu ck yes...it's not called that though, it's called 'Bizarre Ride II' (and no, there is no Bizarre Ride I)

everyone knows I'm gonna say this but...Mf Doom...seriously...get any of his **** (maybe not instrumentals unless your a DJ though) and you won't regret it...

Klimseven wrote:
    fu ck yes...it's not called that though, it's called 'Bizarre Ride II' (and no, there is no Bizarre Ride I)

Eh, actually it is called Bizarre Ride To The Pharcyde. Except it's wrote as II instead of To

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Here's a thread to remember for when i next go shoping for music.
    Some great stuff i already have mentioned but more there for me (every one) to give a listen.

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

The new Jneiro Jarel album is as a great demonstration of golden era (Tribe/De la etc) hip-hop with a modern (Sa-Ra etc) twist. Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Nas-Illmatic.
    Roots-Things fall apart.
    AZ-Doe or Die(so underated).
    Roots Manuva-Run come save me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nayj

damm

da best two albums by far are ice cubes...

old skool

Death certificate
    Amerikka's Most Wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

im in the same boat as mordeth. can somebody tell me what the pharcyde's song is with the video that was recorded backwards? and can anyone tell me the names of any artists with a similar style to chingy (ie. heavy bass, synthy leads)

and can anyone tell me the names of any artists with a similar style to chingy (ie. heavy bass, synthy leads)
    Generally all commercial crappy Duuuurty South 'artists'...they're all pretty much identical in style and general $hittyness...cop that $hit...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Klimseven wrote:
    Generally all commercial crappy Duuuurty South 'artists'...they're all pretty much identical in style and general $hittyness...cop that $hit...

In your opinion of course. Not that I don't agree.

• Advertisement

no, it's fact...ch-ch-check it

well any with a similar slapping/bouncing/pounding bass power to mister ching? i need names! i have an idle winmx here!

kill yourself

it didnt return any results, are they big?

heeell yiyuh, $hit's krunkometer is thru tha rooooof cuz...

ever hear camp kill yourself's chinese freestyle? it's great for pumping on a hi-fi when the delivery guys come!

upmeath wrote:
    can somebody tell me what the pharcyde's song is with the video that was recorded backwards?

Drop

nayj wrote:
    damm

da best two albums by far are ice cubes...

old skool

Death certificate
    Amerikka's Most Wanted

Cube's Death Certificate is a CLASSIC!!! I love that album...back when he was angry!!!

We need rappers hating white people again...that was good music

thanks makaveli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Why cant you fúckers play nice huh? Klimseven banned for a week for pointless flaming

Advertisement