Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing NTL Broadband........

Options
  • 05-02-2005 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

I guess this has already been asked to death, but I have a slightly different question, in that I have certain equipment, and need to know will it work.

I currently have IOLBB, and I'm moving into an NTL Broadband enabled area (Crumlin - anyone know what the connection is like there?).

To share my current IOLBB, I have a D-Link DSL-604+ DSL wireless modem/internet gateway/router etc in one. This device take a RJ-11 connection to the modem.

Basically I want to know can I use this device with NTL Broadband? As far as I'm aware, I'll get an Ethernet modem from NTL, but where would I plug this Ethernet cable into? 1 of the 4 ports on the router? Would the in built modem conflict with the NTL modem, in that it would be expecting the internet connection to be coming from its in built modem?

Also as a side question. If I wanted to expand my current 4 ports, could I just add a 8 port switch/router, and the internet connection would be shared to all the machines in the network? Would the DHCP server assign IP addresses to the machines on the other switch/router?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

SachaJ wrote:
    <snip>
    I have a D-Link DSL-604+ DSL wireless modem/internet gateway/router etc in one. This device take a RJ-11 connection to the modem.

Basically I want to know can I use this device with NTL Broadband? As far as I'm aware, I'll get an Ethernet modem from NTL, but where would I plug this Ethernet cable into? 1 of the 4 ports on the router? Would the in built modem conflict with the NTL modem, in that it would be expecting the internet connection to be coming from its in built modem?

There may be an issue with your modem not being a cable modem, i.e. it may not have a 'coax' type connector on it. afaik yours is a DSL modem with a RJ11 (standard phone) type socket.
    The ntl wiring takes a coax cable from the wall socket to their cable modem which has a 'coax' socket; and then you can take either an RJ45 (ethernet) or USB connection out to your network/pc etc.

But you can't use both modems, it'll be one or the other. You may have an option in your D-link to disable it's modem, and then you can use the NTL supplied modem.
    If you can't disable the modem on your d-link AND it doesn't have a coax socket then you can't use it.
    But if it does have a coax socket then you should be able to ditch the ntl modem and just use your D-link. I say "should" because I haven't actually done this with ntl - but I did it with my brothers eircom bb: drop the eircom modem and use the built in modem in this modem/gateway/router - iirc it was a cisco.

As for the cabling:
    If you're using the ntl modem and your router then it's:
    ntl box on wall -> ntl modem -> D-link (wan port) -> D-link (lan ports) -> wired network devices (PC's) [or just use the wireless, but it's best to have one pc wired to your router for setup and config]

If you're dumping the ntl modem and using your D-link then it's:
    ntl box on wall -> D-link (coax/wan port) -> D-link (lan ports) -> wired network devices (PC's) [or just use the wireless, but it's best to have one pc wired to your router for setup and config]

SachaJ wrote:
    Also as a side question. If I wanted to expand my current 4 ports, could I just add a 8 port switch/router, and the internet connection would be shared to all the machines in the network? Would the DHCP server assign IP addresses to the machines on the other switch/router?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes you can expand by using an 8 port switch.
    DHCP will assign IP addresses to the machines (assuming your gateway/router supports DHCP and NAT); and assuming the machines are set to use DHCP.

If anyone finds anything erroneous in any of the above please shout.

hth,
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

The NTL cable modem would need to be pluged into the WAN port on the DSL modem but since the WAN port is not ethernet, i.e. its RJ11 for the DSL connection its not gonna work.
    If you plug the Cable modem into 1 of the LAN ports then you won't have any NAT'ing/routing. There is only going to be one real internet address so you need the NAT bit.
    I'd sugest you purchase something similar to the following:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=121673&view=detailed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

so basically I just need a "Internet Gateway" that accepts an Ethernet DSL modem connection.

Would this do?

D-Link Dl-624

D-Link Dl-624

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

SachaJ wrote:
    so basically I just need a "Internet Gateway" that accepts an Ethernet DSL modem connection.

Just to clarify something: If you're going with ntl it's not DSL, but cable.
    DSL bb is basically broadband over your phone line (twisted copper pair).
    Cable bb is basically broadband over your tv cable (coax).

SachaJ wrote:

Yeah, it seems to have all the things you want:
    gateway/router/4 port switch, NAT, DHCP, Firewall, WEP, UPnP;
    and the usuals like VPN, DMZ etc..

hth,
    Al

Advertisement