Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growning Up

Options
  • 05-02-2005 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I think it is a positive step foreward that LImerick is growing upwards.
    I think the Clarion Hotel looks great but it's a shame that the skyscaper oppisite it will look the same exact with glass.

The old Gergian buildings are destroying are city, we cant knock them, touch them, build near them... I mean what the hell!
    They are not being used they are rotting away (half of them are unoccupied) and bussiness' are moving too centres in the suburbs. So now they want to move the city to along the canal, but these ugly building will saty there.

Henry Street looks fab. I cant wait till they have finished it, Tait square looks good too but theres no bins or Anything.

Y cant they do proper paving along the sidewalks throughout the city, like those in Tait square and Henry street. The city would look brighter and better (and safer, it'd be even)

They should built a muesum on the history of limericks, outside of Ireland thats what the city is best known for, I was surprised how many Americas head heard of the city because of limericks.

Thanks for reading!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I would agree with you with regard to the georgian buildings on O'Connell Street between the junction of Mallow Street and the Crescent are falling in to wreck and ruin. Number 77 O Connell Street was left for nearly a year after it was set on fire before its owner a Mr. O'Meara got up off his butt and started work on it. it still looks terrible. There has been a scafold on number 75 O Connell Street for the last god knows what. and number 76 O Connell street is ready to fall down due to dampness because its owner left the roof leaking for over two years.

William is a disgrace. there is very little of interest on william street only charity shops and poundshops. The buildings are not in the best of condition on william street either.

But this is not the reason that businesses are moving out to shopping centres. They are moving out to suburbs because they are able to get better corporation rates from Limerick and Clare County Councils.

Limerick city Council is over €18 million in debt and they are ripping off businesses in their juristiction. and this is why they are leaving.

People are leaving the city for the suburbs because things such as refuse charges are amongst the highest in the country.

What needs to happen in my opinion is the following

1. O'Connell street needs to be demolished and re-developed

2. William street needs to be demolished and re-developed

3. Rates the city council is charging businesses in the area need to be reduced.

4 The city boundry needs to be expanded to beyond raheen, and into clare,

4. Housing estates like O'Malley Park need to be depopulated and redeveloped.

5 The local bus service needs to be expanded. single decker buses are inadequate on the raheen to city centre route.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I agree on all of your points plus the fact that people now have to pay €1.50 to park for an hour on the main streets is a disgrace. The parking time zones on the streets have also been changed. A 2 hour parking zone is now 1 hour, a 4 hour zone is now 2 hours, etc. The city council are shooting themselves in the foot. They claim people are going to suberban shopping centres with free car parking and not the city centre yet they up the price of a parking disk by 50% overnight. And now the shop owners are moving to the shopping centres to and the council is crying about this also. What did they expect to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

yes i agree streets like O connell st are like half georgian and half new though they will have to get rid of the georgian houses after a while come on

which do you guys go to more?
    Cruises St and O Connell ts or the Cresent

more of a crescent shopping centre shopper myself, not very many of the local businesses in the city centre have anything of any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Well i shop more often in the cresent more often but thats because its more convient for me (i live in Raheen) But, with the exaction of 'Game vs. Gamestop', i prefere town!

• Advertisement

I learned the hard way that game isnt the best place in limerick for getting computer games though. try smyths next time you are in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Smyths is alot better for everthing. PLus you can check out the R/C stuff and pretend your buying it for your little cousin or somethin. :p

What do you guys think of the newly developed williamscourt centre? It would be better served by newer development all along its side of the street.

I havent been in there yet, but I am still of the opinion that william street should be leveled and started again from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

I agree about William St being demolished but, to that plan, I would like to add the following:

1) Put announcements in and around UL so students are aware that the demolition will be occurring and can avoid the bus stop that day.
    2) Give no other warning about it, anyone else caught in the sudden explosion will be forever fused into the chip shop or the pound shops, in accordance with their assumed wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

The Golden Grill is brilliant. But have you ever looked up at the frontage of the buliding over Peter Mark? It's just this brown-grey blankness about three storeys high, no windows or anything. Depressing looking.

• Advertisement

The Councell shouold tell these buildings to do up the entire buildings including the windows ... hell those buildings are Ireland prime example of Gergion Buildings they are a damn tourist attraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I think it is a positive step foreward that LImerick is growing upwards.
    I think the Clarion Hotel looks great but it's a shame that the skyscaper oppisite it will look the same exact with glass.

The old Gergian buildings are destroying are city, we cant knock them, touch them, build near them... I mean what the hell!
    They are not being used they are rotting away (half of them are unoccupied) and bussiness' are moving too centres in the suburbs. So now they want to move the city to along the canal, but these ugly building will saty there.

That skyscraper is awful! I like sky scrapers but not round ones - it would look far better if it had a more angular shape.

The Georgian buildings are beautiful to me though - do they not give grants for renovating old buildings in Limerick the way they have in parts of Cork?

See personally i love skyscrapers that look different... i hate those ones like in dublin that are just plain ugly... Skyscrapers should not habe balcony's ... i have never seen an appartment block w/ balcony's that i liked!!!

They might give grants but obviously there arent enough! The buildings should be forced to be redone (if needed)

What do ye think ... are these tower blocks the poor houses of the future or are they living quarters for students/ everyone!

Personnally i belive the ones by the river will never be devalued so much as to be accepted as council housing but others possibly could and more then likely will!

I dont know to be honest limerick_man. the likes of Glenlara house were flash apartment blocks when they were built, now they are falling assunder because of people breaking up the apartments and pissing in the lifts and the likes.

But the ones on the river are expensive and very upmarket ... some companies i hear are buying the ones on the riverpoint for business people to stay while they are in limerick!

But i agree ones that are throughtout the city! Where's Glenlara house and when abouts was it built?

not sure when it was built, but it is located next to dominoes pizza on mount kenet place.

it has the chinese supermarket at one side of it and the 95fm building at the other side.

Oh i didnt realise they were that bad... them seem really respectable!

Advertisement