Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can they not spell???

Options
  • 04-02-2005 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

Saw this on the RTE NEWS Monoghan.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

RTE obviously have no important news to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But isn't that how the natives pronouce it Mo-no-han?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Amz wrote:
    RTE obviously have no important news to report.

To be fair to RTE it was a car jacking story they were running, its me with time on my hands saw it!!!

Oh right hehehe!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The sign is in another country.
    Maybe they use a different name up there like we use
    Koln, Munchen , Lisboa, Oporto , Roma, Milano

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

No, as a native I can assure you we use the same name you do. ;) It's a mistake.

Fraid I'm going to change the subject here. But in this shot there's something I really feel the south should adopt when placing traffic signs - no, not the spelling mistake. Although not readily aparent, if you look closely at the picture you'll notice that the second supporting pole from the left continues upwards above the two signs. Though you can't see it from this angle it supports another sign pointing towards the road the photo's been taken from.

Often, at T junctions down south this third set of signs indicating a less important road simply isn't there or have been needlessly placed separately from the other two. The method employed here cuts construction costs and reduces road side clutter. The signs are kept compact in one unit, if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Muineacháin has already been anglicised to 'Monaghan', why would they then use a third version?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

impr0v wrote:
    Muineacháin has already been anglicised to 'Monaghan', why would they then use a third version?
    What, like that place the Gaelgoiri refer to as "Doire"? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Koln, Munchen

These placenames exist to about the same extent as "Monoghan". Did you mean Koeln and Muenchen, perchance, or even Köln and München?

Dermot

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The latter ones - but haven't setup Portugese Brazillian keyboard, otherwise Diacritical marks would be dead easy. :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umlaut

• Advertisement

The latter ones - but haven't setup Portugese Brazillian keyboard, otherwise Diacritical marks would be dead easy. :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umlaut

Good article. The bit you need (explaining why you can write Koeln and Muenchen but not Koln or Munchen) is:
    When typing in German, if umlaut letters are not available, they have to be replaced by the underlying vowel and a following e (Ersatzdarstellung). So, for example, "Schröder" becomes "Schroeder". Replacing the umlaut letter with just the underlying vowel would cause ambiguities in many cases.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

sceptre wrote:
    What, like that place the Gaelgoiri refer to as "Doire"? ;)

Ok, but at least that particular place is within their jurisdiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

impr0v wrote:
    Ok, but at least that particular place is within their jurisdiction!
    Fair cop.

Mind you (and I'm not trying to ignore the fact that some Nornie sign-maker can't read or is prone to typoes and that Greenman is rather observant), do the Ordnance Survery still insist that island down in Kerry that the locals spell with a 't' is caled "Valencia"? I know there are a few small towns/villages in Cork that the locals spell differently at all times compared with the signs that adorn their post offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sceptre wrote:
    do the Ordnance Survery still insist that island down in Kerry that the locals spell with a 't' is caled "Valencia"?
    Hmmm. Met Eireann certainly know the difference, in fact they once pointed out it was 19 degrees in Valentia, when it was 18 degrees in Valencia.

You also have Palmerston (oft spelt Palmerstown - I believe it was named after Lord Palmerston, not Mr. Palmer). I'm sure there are many others.

I have also seen "Ranelagh Road" when it's just "Ranelagh" ("Ranelagh Road" is separate)

How about Enfield/Innfield? Pettigo(e)? Or even the lesser spotted Dunleary?

Dermot

Victor wrote:
    You also have Palmerston (oft spelt Palmerstown - I believe it was named after Lord Palmerston, not Mr. Palmer). I'm sure there are many others.)
    Uhm ...
    Both places exist Victor.

Palmerston home of De le salle Palmerston

Palmerstown home of Stewart's hospital etc.

Advertisement