Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

organisations

Options
  • 04-02-2005 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

hi, i'm interested in volunteering abroad, and i was wondering if anybody knew any organisations that get involved in this sort of thing (i'm planning to go when i'm 18/19 i dont know if this makes a difference)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

I don't have any one i would recommend but this link has a list of some orgnaisations. It depends on what type of work you want to do. I'd suggest you contact a number of them and decide for yourself which one suits you best.

http://www.volunteeringireland.com/IWantToVolunteer/VolunteeringAbroad.htm
    Ask what the criteria for volunteering overseas are and what the conditions are like in each oragnisations area.

Discuss the idea of volunteering overseas with friends/family to get what they think about the idea and hopefully you will get some support to do what you want to do. As an 18/19 year old it's your decision. In theory you will help build communities in a developing country and gain an insight into a different way of life as well as learn things about yourself in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭stephenjudge

hi, i'm interested in volunteering abroad, and i was wondering if anybody knew any organisations that get involved in this sort of thing (i'm planning to go when i'm 18/19 i dont know if this makes a difference)

Have a look at Raleigh Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Have a look at Raleigh Ireland

also very good http://www.vsiireland.org

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

check out Habitat for Humanity Ireland (http://www.habitatireland.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Hey,

A few years ago, I spent the summer doing a bit of volunteer work in Ghana with a crowd called 'VOLU' (details here). They come highly recommended. Both me n the girl I went with had a great time and came back feeling like we'd made a drop of difference in an unjust ocean.

Anyroads... we looked into all the different organisations a good bit before we went and several of them had a lot of administration etc. in Europe and required a large payment before the cost of the trip itself. This type of organisation might suit you if you need a lot of support.

VOLU was different in that it's mainly organised in Ghana and you only give them a couple of hundred dollars to take part in the workcamps. The trade off is that it's not so glossy and :D .

The general plan is that a group of about 20 people from all over the world meet up in the Volu hostel in Accra (capital) in the week before the workcamp and then travel together to wherever the camp is and work hard for a few weeks. Some camps are school building ( this is the one they had in Zorko before we arrived and this is it a few months after we left), some are drain digging, all are fulfilling and exciting.

They have a snazzy web site since one of their old american volunteers maintains it for them - I wouldn't expect fast replies to your e-mails. The secretary has to go down to the post office each week to collect them!! Soon they should have the programme for next summer on the site.

What struck me the most about the country is the incredible spirit of the people, despite the fact that many of them have nothing except what they carrry on their person. They're very optimistic, life loving and it's an inspirational country. Helps that they speak English as well and aren't completely impoverished (as a country)- other people have told me that Ghana is 'entry-level' Africa. Maybe so, but it's a great place to visit and work for a while.

I was about 21 when I went, most of the people were between 18 and 25 and plenty of them travelled by themselves. No, that's a bit misleading. They _arrived_ by themselves, after that they were with people. :)

enjoy
    e

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bright Eyes

Hey e,
    could you give us more details about how you got there - what Airline? How much did your flights cost?

Bright Eyes,

I got the flights through trailfinders on Dawson St, they were well helpful - it was Lufthansas that we flew with and I think the flights were around £800 or so. A friend of mine is interested in going this summer (she called VOLU and got the '05 schedule that isn't on the website yet) and on the web she was quoted around €800 for the same flights. So, reasonable, considering how far it is.

Then you've got all your jabs (you'll be like a tea bag when they're finished with you) and the camping gear and what not. Once you get to Ghana, you gotta pay all your own transport (the organisation pays for basic accom/food) and whatever touristy stuff you fancy.

It'll end up costing the bones of two grand for 3/6/9 weeks of volunteer work (most of the costs are in transport/setup) and it's the best money you could ever spend. We were a bit cunning and got some sponsorship from companies (thanks very much to Kellogs, IBM and DCU!) and our mates.

The people from VOLU will meet you at the airport and look after you.

I know another fella from Ghana that is trying to get foreigners to visit his tourist centre in Ghana - it's not as well organised as VOLU, but he's a real good guy and wants to share the African experience with people. If you're interested, ask me by PM for his e-mail address, he's bursting to get people to go and visit him and learn african dancing, food and culture.

all the best
    e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bright Eyes

Hey Eoin,
    Whats his email address? Going travelling in Sept for a year, and would love to do this as part of the expereince - only chance I'll get to take some time out! So would be next summer that I would be looking to go, but once I know what to expect I can budet it in time and money-wise to my plans... BE

Hey Bright Eyes,

Sounds great that you're interested in going off to Africa to visit Joe. I've sent you a PM with his address.

He'd be happy to answer your questions about what life is like in Ghana. When I met him four years ago, he was working with VOLU and now he's set up his own place for people to come and visit. I've never seen it, but it sounds great and he's a good guy.

all the best with your travels.

e

Advertisement