Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new sat isp- search for good isp continues....

Options
  • 04-02-2005 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

just before i signed up for radiowave.ie i have found: http://www.clarebroadband.com/index.htm

does this sound good? bearing in mnd broadband is not available in my remote part of the cuntry,
    just need to find out about the cap i guess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

jasperok wrote:
    just before i signed up for radiowave.ie i have found: http://www.clarebroadband.com/index.htm

does this sound good? bearing in mnd broadband is not available in my remote part of the cuntry,
    just need to find out about the cap i guess.

What is the contention ratio ? i.e. 45:1, 40:1, 35:1 ?
    6Gig/3Gig cap, not great, but as you say the only game in town, for now.

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

these rural broadband things are never good. They bitch at you if you go near the cap. they will email you if you dl a lot. They overcharge too. Just my op!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    these rural broadband things are never good. They bitch at you if you go near the cap. they will email you if you dl a lot. They overcharge too. Just my op!

Tar .. brush??

These BB schemes are usually the only real choice, a lot more flexible than ISPs, and owned by locals.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    these rural broadband things are never good.
    Never? Used them all, have you?
    FuzzyLogic wrote:
    They bitch at you if you go near the cap.
    What cap?
    FuzzyLogic wrote:
    They overcharge too.
    €30/month is overcharging?
    FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Just my op!
    Not a terribly informed "op", I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think people in rural areas should stick with dial-up. Eircom is Ireland's premier communications provider and if they felt that broadband was appropriate for rural areas they would be providing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

please elaborate "skepticOne" - i don;'t quite understand what you are getting at

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

skepticone is trolling - ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's not trolling, it's sarcasm. Learn to tell the difference.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"Sarcasm" is such an ugly word. I prefer "subtle irony" myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

My apologies for whatever it was I was doing.

My advice is go with whoever is providing broadband in an area if your only other option is dial up.

The exception to this is satellite and networks using satellite as backhaul. Here you may be better off with ISDN in many cases.

Don't wait for another provider to come along as your wait may be years or indefinite.

I have never heard reports about radiowave but if I was in that area and they were the only option I would take a chance on them (provided they are not using satellite). Someone has to try them out and you are doing a service to the country by taking business away from Eircom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement