Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help here in german big help

Options
  • 03-02-2005 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭

i need big help here any one flunt in german please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shaddy

Hallo!

Wie kann man dir denn helfen?

Liebe Grüße, Shaddy

• Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Willkommen shaddy zu Ausschüssen. d.h.

dont muss irgendeinem mehr helfen warum ich Hilfe war, weil im diese fischende Spule ab ebay ab einem deutschen Käufer kaufend

Ich werde Sie je haben gehört von dieser Ort Unterhautinjektion Vereinsbank Starnberg haben

this is a great website

http://www.freetranslation.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Haven't got a clue what you're talking about. Translation sucks, big time. :eek:

Smeagol wrote:
    Haven't got a clue what you're talking about. Translation sucks, big time. :eek:
    what sucks that translation website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

What he means is that the translation makes no sense. From what I can gather from it you're buying something from a german on ebay. You want ot know something about a bank but after that it makes about as much sense as an ejector seat on a helicoptor. Tell us in english and someone might be able to help.

Or maybe pm shaddy with you're problem if you don't want to post it. You could PM me too if you wish but my german is still a bit patchy, seeing as it's Austrian German i'm hearing all the time! :)

• Advertisement

i dont need help any more cheers lads any way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Imposter wrote:
    You could PM me too if you wish but my german is still a bit patchy, seeing as it's Austrian German i'm hearing all the time! :)

Schreiben die Österreicher jetzt anders oder wie?

Dermot

mackerski wrote:
    Schreiben die Österreicher jetzt anders oder wie?

Dermot
    Yes and No. ;) What I mean is my german is still a long way off what it should be like and I do not understand some german because most of my german is now firmly rooted in Austrian dialect.

Imposter wrote:
    Yes and No. ;) What I mean is my german is still a long way off what it should be like and I do not understand some german because most of my german is now firmly rooted in Austrian dialect.

Could be worse - it could be Swiss...

Dermot

mackerski wrote:
    Could be worse - it could be Swiss...

Dermot
    This is true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Oddysseus

Imposter wrote:
    This is true.

really? To me it's not a problem! ;):)

To be fair, no dialect or variant is ever a problem as long as you understand it. I was lucky enough to learn my German in Bavaria, which gives me nice coverage of South Germany and Austria. It doesn't extend to Switzerland - c'est la vie...

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

is there much difference between austrain/swiss/german german?

Fast_Mover wrote:
    You could say that. Austrians don't understand most of what the swiss say. The ones near me don't understand what some other austrians say. German and it's many dialects are generally understandable though.

Now have a look at it from a non-native speaker's perspective!

Fast_Mover wrote:

Sort of. The Austrian dialects in areas adjoining Germany tend to be strongly related to the neighbouring dialects (esp. Bavarian and Algäuisch). That doesn't help north Germans much (or foreigners who learned Hochdeutsch), since they tend not to have much feel for the southern dialects.

Switzerland is a bit different. I have trouble understanding Swiss German at all, though if it's subtitled on the telly (and it often is) I can sometimes train my ear in a bit. I'm not that familiar with the background, but I've always had the idea that, since Swiss German is a government-endorsed variant, it tended to separate a bit more from other dialects. Switzerland abolished the ß years before the recent Rechtschreibreform. You could think of it a bit like Gaelic, which is technically a single language. However, because the Irish and Scottish dialects were standardised and assigned an orthography independently, we now tend to consider them as separate languages, and speakers of either standard form can have trouble understanding the other.

"Austrian German" doesn't really exist on this level - but rather as a collection of regional dialects, with Hochdeutsch being the standard. However, in written German you do get Austrian flavour:

Jänner, not Januar
    Spittal as well as Krankenhaus
    Benützen rather than Benutzen (this is common in S. Germany too)
    Semmel instead of Brötchen (though I don't know if this is the case countrywide).

This is all fairy well on a par with the degree to which Hiberno-English gets written down.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wow, there are actually some Irish guys who try to learn German. I thought this would never be possible as most Irish say it is so monotonous. I am very impressed now :eek: Weiter so!

German can be as soft and gentle as teh kiss of a young bride
    and as dark and mighty as infinity of night :p

Wow, there are actually some Irish guys who try to learn German. I thought this would never be possible as most Irish say it is so monotonous. I am very impressed now :eek: Weiter so!

German can be as soft and gentle as the kiss of a young bride
    and as dark and mighty as infinity of night :p

Isabelle wrote:

Es gibt nicht nur die, die es versuchen, sondern auch die, denen es gelingt. Meiner Erfahrung nach, befinden sich diese Iren hauptsächlich im deutschsprachigen Raum.

I find that to appreciate the beauty of a language you first have to understand it. I've never heard German accused of monotony, but often of harshness. Typically, people will compare it to something like French or Italian. Having learned French at school, I would probably have favoured its sound over German's. It was only when I came to learn German that I could hear the beaty and admire the structure. My knowledge of German has also enabled me to appreciate the sound of Dutch, a language that gets criticised for harshness even more than German does.

It isn't just the sound of German that's enjoyable - anyone who grows up speaking English learns that language is disordered and illogical. When we ask a German how a word is pronounced and are told "just the way it's spelt", we think we're being had. But in German, you can recognise the origins of the English language. Sure, there's lots of French in there too, but it's Germanic at the core. So learning German taught me plenty about my own language too.

To be honest, it's actually quite rude to dismiss a language you can't speak as inelegant, just as it would be to accuse a typically foreign appearance trait as ugly.

Language is a lot more than sounds. Any language I know, I can appreciate its cleverness on some level. Any language I don't know, I'm not qualified to judge.

Dermot

Wow Dermot ! I appreciate your explanation and I understand what you mean. Besides, I'm German and I'm a German teacher who gives lessons in the Netherlands. However, I have to admit that I am not so fond of Dutch. I guess, I miss the wealth of words, the fine nuances of words, and the richness of poetry power.

Moreover, I very much like how the Scottish and Irish speak English. It's so romantic and melodious :p Aaaaaw and those nice glottal stops that some dialects have, hehe.

And Swedish is my favourite. The sound is a sheer euphony :rolleyes:

Advertisement