Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL connection to multiple users

Options
  • 03-02-2005 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I recently got a 750k broadband connection from NTL. I am trying to setup a wireless network but have been unable to do so because there seems to be no internal network and my PC can't make the hop through the access point to the modem.

Has anyone done this or is it possible to buy a wireless cable modem and use that instead?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lamaq wrote:
    I recently got a 750k broadband connection from NTL. I am trying to setup a wireless network but have been unable to do so because there seems to be no internal network and my PC can't make the hop through the access point to the modem.

Has anyone done this or is it possible to buy a wireless cable modem and use that instead?

There have been lots of reports on here of people setting up a wireless network with NTL. What equipment are you using at the moment to try and do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I've got a D-Link wireless router that i have plugged into my own NTL modem. Works fine for me. You do have a wi-fi card in your PC dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have ntl bb (since August 04) and connect the modem to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. No problems at all. As expected my wife and I have used it simultaneously without any issues. It has 4 ethernet ports too.

*I* would avoid thinking about changing the modem - the modem would not be supported by ntl, you'd have to get a different one if you changed to DSL or some other bb technology. This router can be used with any bb modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I am using the standard ntl cable modem and a 3com wireless access point. All I'm really looking for is where to buy a cable modem with wireless network all-in-one that will work for an NTL connection. One person in NTL says I can buy my own while NTL tech support is saying I won't be able to use it.

edit: thanks daymobrew, just what I needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

First off connection to the NTL network is only controlled by MAC address. i.e. you'll only be allowed to connect using their cable modem. Don't use your routers internal modem (if it has one) or ensure it can spoof the MAC address on the cable modem ... see the bottom of the modem for it.

Have done this using the 3Com OC wireless router kit.

Firstly:
    Connect their modems ethernet to your wireless routers Cable/DSL WAN ethernet port.
    Ideally have one wired and one wireless PC / notebook for setup. You can just have one PC with both wired and wireless but it is more straight forward when you have two.

Setup your wireless router by using a direct connection to one of its LAN ethernet ports. It should have some sort of admin interface usually a web-page based thingy at a know IP address - see your doccos.

Enable wireless, set your SSID and enable broadcast. (Switch off most security options) At this stage any wireless NIC kit within range should pic up your new SSID.
    Connect to the Router/SSID and see if you can surf the interweb.

Then start re-enabling security options (disable SSID broadcast, limit wireless connections to known MAC addresses, WEP/WPA, firewalls etc.)

.. I imagine setup is similar if not the same for other wireless routers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I imagine setup is similar if not the same for other wireless routers.
    Exactly the same process for my Linksys router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

lamaq wrote:
    I am using the standard ntl cable modem and a 3com wireless access point.

There's your problem - that AP does not have routing capability. You need a wireless router, not an AP - spmething like the D-Link or Linksys mentioned. 3Com also do one on the OC range.

Advertisement