Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So they say you can't shred on a Les Paul?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

This better be worth it <_<

Meh tbh. It was alright but don't forget Zakk Wylde's been playing on a Les Paul for years and he's not slow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

man that guitar sounds sweet!!! it's mesmerising watching someone who just looks soo comfortable on a guitar..

Aye, it was a nice sound but the playing was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Who said you could'nt shred on a Les Paul? Certainly wasn't me..
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Beat me to it, Doc - i was just going to post that up ;)

His technique is flawless - it sounds like a violin, not a guitar :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yeah, that man just has a way of playing which makes everything sound amazing, beautiful technique. That's not even his guitar, he was at NAMM and bumped into a friend and was just checking out his Les Paul. His bends are incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

He's just class. Pure magic when he plays a guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

From a visual viewpoint his technique looks terrible...fingers sticking out everywhere but looks are deceiving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gothic Warrior

lol - Who the hell is that dork?
    Complete **** guitar. No elegance, style or feel...and his technique is the sh*ts. If you want real guitar playing, check out John Scofield.

lol - Who the hell is that dork?
    Complete **** guitar. No elegance, style or feel...and his technique is the sh*ts. If you want real guitar playing, check out John Scofield.
    are you for real?

• Advertisement

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    are you for real?
    Absolutely. How can you possibly think that's good? It's just a few simple runs...

ok, so because you think it's simple then it can't be good?:rolleyes:

you'll go far..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

feylya wrote:
    Aye, it was a nice sound but the playing was unreal.

is that "but" meant to be there, well i thought the likes of jimmy pages heartbreaker soloing and that DVD have him pretty much shredding, just because he isn't in modern rock and isn't playing an ibanez...i would have called it shredding due to the speed of his hands and lack of clarity in sound what he was doing

On seeing it i amn't very impressed, that little finger hanging out looks so awkward and annoying, he just looked like your average joe who needed to think what to do next, and the bits that were "shredding" could easily have been preprepared runs, and they all were fairly static and repetitive. However the bending WAS great, that said there isn't a person on boards as good as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Nidge wrote:
    On seeing it i amn't very impressed, that little finger hanging out looks so awkward and annoying, he just looked like your average joe who needed to think what to do next, and the bits that were "shredding" could easily have been preprepared runs, and they all were fairly static and repetitive. However the bending WAS great, that said there isn't a person on boards as good as that.

I wasn't aware you know every guitarist on boards?

Nidge wrote:
    where would you put your middle finger then?

Giblet wrote:
    I wasn't aware you know every guitarist on boards?

I was thinking more along the lines of the idea that very few people are likely to be able to shred like that, clearly judging by what i said about that guy i don't think he is the best in the world, so someone on boards could easily be better than he is.

"where would you put your middle finger then?"

Ah yes nice pun, although i was of course talking about his little finger, sorry to offend your god.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

NeMiSiS wrote:
    Who said you could'nt shred on a Les Paul? Certainly wasn't me..
    Tom
    Indeed.

Nidge wrote:
    is that "but" meant to be there, well i thought the likes of jimmy pages heartbreaker soloing and that DVD have him pretty much shredding, just because he isn't in modern rock and isn't playing an ibanez...i would have called it shredding due to the speed of his hands and lack of clarity in sound what he was doing

Ooops, I meant "wasn't unreal"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I was less than impressed with that.

Besides, Peter Lindgren seems to get on fine with a Les Paul, and he can do some feirce stuff.

• Advertisement

Eh, Slash anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Hmmmm, that's exactly the kind of guitar-playing that doesn't do anything for me...

Admittedly, I can't doing anything close to that and the guy's techinical ability, speed, precision etc. seem to be very good. But it just, I dunno, doesn't seem very imaginative or interesting. It appears to just be a sh(r)edload of runs.

Of course, that's only one bit of footage so it's hard to judge him, but speed and bending do not a good guitarist make. At least not by my definition anyway.

Isn't it strange that if you heard a saxophonist or a trumpeter doing the equivalent, you'd probably just say "Well, sure they can play -FAST-, but what else can they do?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Take it from me, that is just a snippet of what Chris Poland is capable of, as I said, that's him just doodling on a friend's guitar. As for the little finger thing, it looks unnatural and it is, he damaged ligaments in his little finger in his youth but does have an extended finger range as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Meh, was good enough, but not worth the 12mb download on dialup.

Meh, was good enough, but not worth the 12mb download on dialup.

haha brilliant

Eh, Slash anyone?

I choose to remember Slash playing a mockingbird.

I choose to remember Slash playing a mockingbird.

No need to "remember" as he still plays the les paul for velvet revolver as per usual...

Nidge wrote:
    No need to "remember" as he still plays the les paul for velvet revolver as per usual...

If he's playing the les paul, of course I need to "remember" him playing a mockingbird. Sense!

If he's playing the les paul, of course I need to "remember" him playing a mockingbird. Sense!

What i am saying is, is why are you choosing to remember him playing the mockingbird, if he only did so far for a song or two, especially if the claim is that he is a person capable of shredding on a les paul, which is visibly and he says himself his chosen guitar.

• Advertisement

Nidge wrote:
    What i am saying is, is why are you choosing to remember him playing the mockingbird, if he only did so far for a song or two, especially if the claim is that he is a person capable of shredding on a les paul, which is visibly and he says himself his chosen guitar.
    plus he owns about 40 of em..

Advertisement