Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod muggings!

Options
  • 02-02-2005 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

We've all heard about the wave of ipod muggings, and how we should trade in our groovy white earphones for nondescript balck ones as a preventative measure.
    Does anyone know anybody who has had their ipod snatched? is there any real need to buy new earphones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my mate had his iPod snatched, but i told him it was gonna happen, he's a fuppin' eejit and left his white trail of earphones leading right into his pocket on the outside of his coat.

luckily he had it insured, but i slapped him anyway for being a twat.

now i bought an iPod bout a year back, not only did this mugging lark throw me off the white earphones but also the atrocious quality of them. music never sound so bad i could of swore it was a realmusic ringtone from a mobile with one crappy speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Is this not just an urban myth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

In fairness your mate was thick leaving in his outside pocket, thas like texting someone while walking down the street. Your asking to get mugged.
    Where abouts was your mates ipod snatched?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

them white earphones are a dead give away and you are just asking to be robbed
    invest in some decent earphones with some decent sound quality,less chance of being a target and them 10,000 songs will sound so much sweeter

Anton17 wrote:
    In fairness your mate was thick leaving in his outside pocket, thas like texting someone while walking down the street. Your asking to get mugged.
    Where abouts was your mates ipod snatched?

he was walking down that street adjacent to trinity (not sure of the name but it's got easons there and knobs and knockers on it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Cremo wrote:
    he was walking down that street adjacent to trinity (not sure of the name but it's got easons there and knobs and knockers on it)

You said knockers.... huh huh huh.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Everytime I see white headphones I think "mp3 player" .... total give-away

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Every time I see white earphones I think Middle age guy having a mid-life crisis... IT'S AN I-POD!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

seen a girl today in a state because someone had nicked hers from her bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Get an Archos one if anyone tries to mug you , you can beat them to death iwith it , damn thing weighs a tonne.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

Muggings aside you'd think people would pay the few quid for a decent pair of earphones after blowing loony money on their precious shiny white brick.

KdjaC wrote:
    Get an Archos one if anyone tries to mug you , you can beat them to death iwith it , damn thing weighs a tonne.

kdjac

best reply yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Got my pod stolen by Kdjac outside an offlisence about a year ago.
    ****in nack.

Btw, replace the headphones, not for personal safety reasons but because they are **** headphones. I remember reading an article about the earphones last year when people were asking Apple to change the style of them to avoid people getting mugged for their iPods. Apple said no, saying their customers would rather look stylish at the risk to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Anton17 wrote:
    We've all heard about the wave of ipod muggings, and how we should trade in our groovy white earphones for nondescript balck ones as a preventative measure.
    Does anyone know anybody who has had their ipod snatched? is there any real need to buy new earphones?
    Other than the fact that they are utterly shi.......ite :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Btw, replace the headphones, not for personal safety reasons but because they are **** headphones. I remember reading an article about the earphones last year when people were asking Apple to change the style of them to avoid people getting mugged for their iPods. Apple said no, saying their customers would rather look stylish at the risk to themselves.

But that's the thing .... the headphones look like sh*te too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I have a mate who is a manager is a sony Center, he made a comment a while ago about people who don't have iPods uying white earphones to make it look like they do, and people who have iPods buying other colours to hide the fact.

To be honest, I have an Ipod I use different (high quality) earphones because of the sound quality, but I have seen people flaunting the fact they have one; they are asking to be mugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well my remote is also white.
    so mug away.

also those headphones suck, yes. they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

When I was mugged (on Jervis Street BTW) I had white (non-ipod) earphones out of my jacket but not in my ears. The buggers talked to be for about 2 minutes before it happened, they must have seen them, but they only took my wallet and phone. My iRiver was in the same pocket as the phone and they reached in to get it themselves, but they never took it. Thank god.

My remote is now connected so that my iRiver is in my inside pocket with the remote coming out the bottom and the earphones going up. And I never walk on Jervis Street alone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I sent a pair of black sony fontopia earphones off for warranty repair and they sent me back a new pair (nice of them) but they were white :o

I still have a working black pair anyways so it's not that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

its funny seeing so many of those white earphone people around.. do they care that they are listening to their music in the ****test quality or do they just wanna look cool

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

why would knackers wanna rob i-pods. I doubt they have a pc, let alone the know-how of how to use one. And who the hell buys a second hand i-pod with no usb cable/software/charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I imagine not alot of them care either way.
    There just the headphones they got, so they use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Loco wrote:
    its funny seeing so many of those white earphone people around.. do they care that they are listening to their music in the ****test quality or do they just wanna look cool

Allot of ipod owners care more for the fashion then the music. This is why ipod is market leader even over better DAPs. Earphones wouldn't matter, infact they would be more inclined to wear the worse white earphones just so it's obvious they have an ipod.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I imagine not alot of them care either way.
    There just the headphones they got, so they use them.

I reckon thats what it is in 90% of cases. I changed the headphones on my Zen coz the ones I got with it were huge and horibly unfomforatble. I wouldn't be able to tell the diferance between most headphones and TBH as long as they make noise (and fit comfortably) I dont really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

popinfresh wrote:
    why would knackers wanna rob i-pods. I doubt they have a pc, let alone the know-how of how to use one. And who the hell buys a second hand i-pod with no usb cable/software/charger.

Because plenty of knackers have PCs, because non-knackers steal ipods and because they're worth at least €200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

jeez, whats so great about the ipod
    i think the new song HD3 supports mp3s now, and id be glad if some one was to take this 360 euro piece of metal off my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭djmike

I reckon he saw ya coming out of Maplin Electronics just off Jervis St and said to himself ....
    " ahh , here comes a nerd ....."

My sympathies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

One thing I would like to ask those unfortunate souls that were robbed is what time of the day\night did this happen? Hopefully your not goona say it was in the middle of the day (in particular the dude who was robbed in Jervis street)

Also, I think the standard iPod earphones are decent enough, I would be willing to pay for a better pair if there was a major improvement in sound quality, is this usually the case??

Cheers :cool:

Advertisement