Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Failed BB Test

Options
  • 01-02-2005 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

I just got a new phone line in today and checked if it would be ok on the eircom website and it FAILED, the line is brand new, i also checked my neighbours number which i know they have really old lines and it passed ok, I just got the line today so do I have to wait and see for a week or so till its ok, also im less than 200 meters from the exchange.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Give it about a month/at least a few week and then it will pass the test they have to register the phone number or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yea I had a feeling about that because i have two other lines in the house (for the buisness) that are ISDN and since faxes and stuff are on them i did'nt want to change them, i checked them on the website aswell and they passed even though the lines were put in in the 70's and are the old twin wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Yea I had a feeling about that because i have two other lines in the house (for the buisness) that are ISDN and since faxes and stuff are on them i did'nt want to change them, i checked them on the website aswell and they passed even though the lines were put in in the 70's and are the old twin wire.

faxes arent affected by dsl. i woul have put it on those lines and tax deducted the cost of web use.

yea i know but the hastle of getting it taken out and all, its too much, anyway since i have the line in now theres no going back anyway.
    One other question should i go with EsatBt or Eircom, ive seen esat are offering twice the limit of eircom, but is esats speeds slower or pretty much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

ARGINITE wrote:
    Give it about a month/at least a few week and then it will pass the test they have to register the phone number or something like that.

I've been waiting for 3 months so far for my line to pass and it still fails. Rang Eircom - basically, they had no idea and just told me to keep trying!! I am near an exacange and people further away from me all have BB compatible lines.
    I asked if a new line would help and was told no, there's no guarantee that a brand new line would be broadband compatible even after paying €130 for it!

• Advertisement

Well im just a really hard stones throw away fro the exchange, around a 10minute walk and i got the new line in, but its early days yet for me, hopefully it passes in a few weeks because its coming from the same pole as all of the other telephone lines in my neighbours house's next to me, really i just think since the number is new they need to register it on the exchange to be BB enabled, HOPEFULLY.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Could anyone who has gone through this before, and had a successful resolution, give some tips on this? I'm in the same situation, just got phone line connected, and it fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Folks, that's pretty "normal". Lines get tested every 4 weeks, so it could be anywhere up to 4 weeks to get the test results for your phone line.

Also, advese weather conditions will affect your line test. Lots of rainfall and damp house or damp cables will affect your result. That's why the main telephone cables are pressurised - to keep the water away.

I live in an old house (built in the 1950's), and my phone line has been passing and failing checks on and off. Ever since I got it installed it's been working fine, even though every now and again I go to the online line checker and sometimes it fails.

This just shows you that it's not an exact science, but I guess eircom want to be sure if you pass the check that you can get it working.

Maybe they'll come up with a solution for these "marginal" cases like mine, where the line quality is obviously near the limit of RADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It's surprising (or is it?) that eircom don't test a line as soon as it is installed, instead of this 'unknown future test date' lark. You'd think they didn't want broadband customers.
    Also, advese weather conditions will affect your line test.
    A friend works for eircom and he told me that the call volume to the repair service shoots up when it rains, because rain causes shorting between conductors in eroded cables.

Well the main box on the pole (which has about 15 telephone connections in it) got updated there about 8 months ago, it used to be a slim black box but now its a bulky white one prob. an IP54 box to keep out the rain, only last year whwn it rained you could just lift up your handset and listen to any conversation, you could hear 6 people at one stage, freaky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ive seen esat are offering twice the limit of eircom, but is esats speeds slower or pretty much the same?

Esat have the same speeds and pings as Eircom with double the download limit.

Cool ill go with Esat, just to have twice the limit, i dont see why eircom should have this aswell.

Advertisement