Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank card scams what is the Gards and media doing?

• 01-02-2005 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

I just heard that a friend of a friend got all her money stolen from her bank account. She used a bank machine in Ranelagh that apparently had a "tape" or some device that read her card when she inserted it in the slot.

After discovering her bank account now has no money, she reported it to the Gardai. They said that these bank card scams are "rampant". She's now trying to get her money back from the bank.

But my questions are:

1) if it's "rampant" why is there so little apparently being done about it?

For instance, the theif must return in this instance to the machine to retrieve the tape, how come we don't see these CCTV images of the suspect?
    What are the banks doing about it? Surely replacing their cards should be a priority, also maybe they should change their machines to make them more secure.

2) What is the Bank/Gards/media doing to educate the public about what to watch out for, when using a bank machine?

I have no clue really, except to see if there is a camera somewhere (always cover your hand when typing PIN) But some of these scams don't need your PIN, apparently.
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/atmcamera.asp

Does anybody have more info on what to look for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i thought the idea was someone tried to get your pin code over your shoulder,
    surely the banks would notice if someone was driling holes in there atms?

and if the camera wasnt directly over the keypad just continue standing close to the bank machine as most clever people do and you should be alright.

more than likely if your friends card got scammed it could have been in a shop[if its alaser card] or someone doing as i said above.

chalk

edit//
    reread the tape and record bit ;)
    afaik most atms will lock the card hole [sic] as long as there is somethin inside
    this was a new development after this scam
    usually a small plastic envelopegoes inside the machine,
    when the card is inserted it gets stuck
    customer strolls off, thief comes over with knife or something and pulls the crd out,
    still requires someone to get your pin tho...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

moved to After Hours

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

The electronic device is slid into the slot, there is no drilling to be done.

John q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Lump wrote:

John q

Jesus john your not serious? Any links to what it might look like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Honest, I'm not an expert on it... I'll have a look when I go home. Leaving work now.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

mad m wrote:
    Jesus john your not serious? Any links to what it might look like.
    http://www.safecard.ie/home/documents/ATMs-ExcellentpicturesofCamerasandFalseFronts..pdf Loads of pictures there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Lump wrote:

John q

The most common is a little device, placed just over the slot where you insert the card, looking like a "cover". So, that's one thing you can keep a look out for.

Another thing - they need to install a camera to view your PIN number - it's not recorded on your card.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Google for "lebanese loop".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

see, his is why i keep my bank account in a constant overdraft!

and the bank try to tell me im bad with money, hahaha fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It was actually on that crime thingy on rte 1. They showed exactly how its done. The use the electronic slot for the card as mentioned and when the card is put in it takes a copy of the data stored on the magnetic tape. To get the pin they use two methods. One has already been mentioned. A small pinhole camera over the keypad. The other is actually a different keypad placed over the existing one, so that when you put in your pin it records it that way too. Bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If this is common knowledge, why are banks allowing it to happen? There shouldn't be any pamphlet holders beside the ATM, but there should be a camera in place to catch people installing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This was all over the news about 6 months ago. Have to say I'm dissapointed in the scammers, thought they'd have found something new by now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

I was in Dublin over Christmas. I got a call from the folks at AIB on a Saturday night telling me that they'd found a device on an ATM I'd used on the Friday and needed my permission to cancel my card. Nothing had been taken from my account, but I was impressed that they seemed to be on top of it. I'm glad they didn't call me any later - I was still reasonably coherent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Stephen wrote:
    Google for "lebanese loop".

Thats a different scam. Normally stealing the card.

The ATM scam uses normally a little thing that slots over the card slot and a hidden camera is normally put above your hand in the roof part (look for a strip). The scammers thing is very expensive so they will most likely be nearby, but if you manage to find one nick it on them.

You should put your hand over the numbers while you are typing.

Btw, all ATMS have at least one hidden camera (Saw this demonstrated in CeBit). So the banks can see who is facing the ATM when a card is put in.

Advertisement